Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Coney

What is the hibernation for.......??

What is this hibernation function....???

what does it for...???

I see it but donna what it does...also i have the apm function...

Could someone please explain it to me in simplier terms.....

Thnx in advance guys.....

\_/ Coney

"Hibernation" - part of the ACPI spec - is when a complete snap-shot of the current state of the OS is saved to disk and the whole machine shut down. Then on restart, this image is just re-loaded - instead of having to reboot and the OS do the whole hardware discovery, verification, etc. A restart from hibernation usually only takes around 10 seconds or so - as long as it takes to read a file the size of your RAM from disk...

APM - Advanced Power Management - is a facility to control the power consumption of individual subsystems within the PC. For example, the HD can be spun down it it hasn't been accessed for more than x minutes. Such things are controlled in the BIOS of the PC, but the OS needs to be aware that it's going to happen, so it can wait a bit longer before timing out.

Both were originally developed with laptop machines in mind - to extend battery life - but found their way into desktops too, mainly to extend the life of components, and to allow geeks to leave a machine on 24*7 without the family complaining about the noise...

It's also worth noting that only a subset of APM and none of ACPI is supported for SMP machines, and many "ACPI-compliant" machines are actually not - W2K is far stricter than Win9x.

Do a search on APM and ACPI at www.microsoft.com if you need more info. Of course, you could have done that in the first place...

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

CL TNT1 AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 120-day eval