Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dekkz

Maximun specs of NT

What is the max proccessors/motherboards, hardrives, Memory on Windows NT workstation 4.0?

Dekkz

Hi Dekks,

NT supports up to 4 gigs of physical ram, 2 gigs of virtual memory, and iirc, hard drive limit is 7.8 gig for the system partition and 16 exabytes on other partitions if using the NTFS file system. CPU's I'm not sure of.

- Lotus

[Edited by Lotus on 2004-06-09 17:21:41]

I know there is a limit for FAT partition's to 4GB, this is available in the text setup if you choose this filesystem rather then NTFS, however I didn't think there was a limit under NTFS for the BOOT/SYSTEM partition other then what the OS can see wink

Hmm, time to look at the MS KB a little.

I found a nice article on why there's an initial 4GB limit. Makes sense if you read it on why this is so wink

That article was a good read jmmijo...makes sense.

Here is the microsoft KB article regarding partition limits.

- Lotus

Interesting stuff. Im trying to install NT on a new computer, even after removing everything but the motherboard and harddrive, it still killed the setup. I have an 800mhz Front side bus, Any suggestions on installing NT on a new 2.8 Ghz PC?

You know what was really funny now that I look back at it. I used to check out how old OSes would perform on my newer PCs. When I got my AMD Athlon 750 a few years back I managed to screw up the motherboard by installing a copy of Windows 95 Retail v4.00.950, yeah that corrupted the BIOS somehow and that motherboard was gone.

I am just saying be careful installing NT4 on a newer machine.