Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lacychels

Computer Freezing

In January I purchased a Systemax computer with an AMD Athalon processor, Windows XP Home, MS Office 2003 Professional. Since turning on the computer I have had constant problems with it freezing. Sometimes it evens reboots itself - the screen goes black and then it boots. When it reboots, most often a message appears saying the system has recovered from a "serious error". When it merely freezes and I have to manually reboot, it usually does a disk/file scan.

Anyway, I have talked with Systemax tech service, but they are blaming it on a software problem. However, I don't have much extra software installed and it is nothing that wasn't on my old computer which did not act this way.

Any suggestions on what might be causing the computer to freeze/reboot at random and any solutions to the problem?

Did the computer come with software/os installed? Or did you get it and install stuff yourself? Also what extra hardware do you have in it or hooked up to it?

Need to get a little more info.

- Lotus

My guess is a bad memory chip.

Don't buy Systemax systems again, they suck frown

If you want simple and good tech support, just get a Dell or something like that -- easy and they aren't afraid of sending you replacement parts.

Lotus - Because I didn't want all the extraneous garbage, I had it built to my specs. Here are the system specs for my "Tiger XP2600 System" - built by Systemax.

Mid-Tower ATX Chassis w/300W PS nForce2 Motherboard

AMD Athlon XP2600+ 333FSB Processor

512MB DDR333 PC2700 Non-ECC Memory

160GB Ultra ATA (7200rpm) Hard Drive

Geforce 4 MX440-T8X 64MB AGP Card w/ TV-Out

52X32X52/16X Combo Drive

4X DVD-/+ R/RW Drive

56K V.92 PCI Modem

Logitech iTouch Keyboard

Systemax Mouse

Windows XP Home Edition

MS Office Professional 2003

Adobe Acrobat Reader

I installed the following (note: as mentioned in my initial posting, these were installed on my old Hewlitt-Packard system and caused no problems):

Norton AntiVirus

FinePx Viewer (for Fuji digital camera)

Lexmark Z32-Z22 Color Printer

Enter.net - ISP - w/ "Propel Accelerator"

Because of the continuing problems, I have purposely kept my computer as "clean" as possible.

Do you by any chance have the "fast write" option enabled for your video card? That option tends to make some systems very unstable. Aside from that, Alec's post above will lead you in the right direction. Keep us updated on your progress.