Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

DVD Overlays on NT4

Does anyone else here play DVDs on NT4?

I can't for the life of me find a compatible player, and the problem is overlays. I can get most players to install and run fine (even detect and play the dvd) but the screen is greyed out. I discovered overlays were to blame when I played back video in winamp and realplayer (disabling overlays fixed the problem). However most DVD software doesn't allow the user to mess with overlays and thus renders it useless! ;(

Does anyone know of a good freeware DVD player than allows me to turn off overlay / hardware support? (and preferably comes with it's own codecs).

Failing that can anyone tell me of a commerical product that works on NT4?

Here's hoping!

Try http://www.videolan.org/

I use it as a dvd player, and its free, stable and has loads of settings one of which turns the overlays on and off.

Hey you can also stream your dvds over your home network..Nice!

Hope this helps Oz.

Thanks for the link but I already tried this player (and just about every other commerical or open source one there is).

Nothing seems to work! frown

I thought I might be missing some codecs so I've tried the kazaa-lite standard pack and that made no difference.

If you run commerical software like PowerDVD or WinDVD the disks will play and you get the overlay problem. With free players like VLC or Media Player 6.4 or Real etc.. (those that can play DVDs with external codecs) don't seem to detect the disks.

I have a dual boot set up with 98(1st) and NT. Now I know theres nothing wrong with how this machine is set up because 98 plays just about anything out of the box with no problems (ditto with all the other OSes I've had on it) NT is the only one with this major headache.

Unfortunately Media Player Classic doesn't seem to work under NT or I would use that (I do for just about everything else on 98)