Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
algam86

It Keeps Freezing!

Every time I normally log on Windows XP, my computer freezes in about 6 minutes. How do I stop it from freezing? It started before I got the internet, and I don't use any disks, so I didn't think it was a virus, and it works fine in safe mode, so how do I fix it?

Originally posted by algam86:

Quote:
Every time I normally log on Windows XP, my computer freezes in about 6 minutes. How do I stop it from freezing? It started before I got the internet, and I don't use any disks, so I didn't think it was a virus, and it works fine in safe mode, so how do I fix it?

Hi Algam86, your problem could be one of many things. You said it started before you even got the internet, so the first thing I would suggest is checking your device manager while in safe mode for duplicate entries. A lady I work with had a very similar problem which turned out to be duplicate hard drive controllers installed. Removed the suspicious one, and the system hasn't frozen up in over a week. Sounds like you have a conflict somewhere. You could also check System Information under "start>program files>aplications>system tools>system information" for conflicts.

By the way, does the freeze "always" happen at the same time? If so, maybe check the registry to see what is starting up when your computer starts. Always make a registry backup before editing. You can do this by typing "regedit" from the run menu to open the registry editor, then under the registry menu (top left), select export, and check "all" branches from the save window. Then just choose a place to save your backup and give it a name. There are two popular areas in which programs start from. The first is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

And the second is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Try removing one thing at a time, and seeing if your problem goes away after restarting. You can restore the registry by double clicking your backup you made or by "Importing" the registry from the same menu you backup up from.

(Another place to check is the startup folder under program files) - Just drag the program you want out of the folder onto your desktop.

I hope you get your problem resolved.

- Lotus