Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Niels82

fedora core 2

Hey

I started out with Mandrake 10 not so long ago. I finally found a linux that detected my network and graphic cards after not even getting started with others. However its freezing and locking up on me alot, and im rebooting nonstop. This was also the case during install, did it like 10 times bofore it finally got through.. ugh

So now I wanna change, and I am considering Fedora Core 2. Will this be a good or bad idea ?

Danleff: you said earlier you had simular cards as me, do you think this will work ?

Also, Im sick of burning CD and actually dont have any left right now .. ive wasted tons on these bad linux things that I never got installed as it didnt support what I had.

WHat I would like to do is install from hard disk, without burning.. is this possible ? Id like to avoid using floppys also as i hate that and dont understand why they still exist either smile

Would be apprectiated with some tips before i get started so i dont run into 50 walls this times also before i get it running smile

Hi,niels82

I had that problem when I first started using mandrake 10.

What kernal are you using ?Are you using 3rd party programs?

The reason I ask is if you are using kernal 2.6, you have

to use what you can get from Mandrake.

If you just did the default install then you installed kernal 2.6 which is not compatible with 3rd party software.

If you selected LSB on the "Package Group Selection" screen ,you

should have kernal 2.4 installed which is compatible with 3rd party software.

If not,then you have kernal 2.6 which is very flaky.

If you download applications from the web and have kernal 2.6 installed then changing to kernal 2.4 should solve your problem.

(LSB is 'Linux Standard Base",which is essential if you use 3.rd party apps.and is not supported by mandrake kernal 2.6 .)

At the first screen you get when booting from install disk, type "linux noauto" at the prompt and hit enter.(If autodectect has a problem with you hardware,it will lockup.You can set up hardware with "system/configuration/configure your computer/"

after installing.)

oh, I had no idea ..

Thanks alot man Ill go for Mandrake10 with older kernel then.. it must definately be my problem smile