Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jarves

knoppix

does anyone know hoe to network knoppix???

coz i have dis latest version of knoppix and i do not know how to network it.

anyone please...

i tried all the instructions and steps but i still cannot netowrk knoppix!

when i try to ping to the server it cannot find the server. i already configured the lancard eth0.

where can i download a eht0 driver for knoppix version 3.3 . it is bcm4400???

and also where can i download a bcm4400 driver for mandrake 10???

This is what I found about the driver, which should be in the kernel source.

"BCM 4400 ethernet

OK: This is not supported in early 2.4 kernels, but the driver is on the CDROM provided Drivers/Lan/4401/Linux/bcm4400-1.0.1.tar.gz and on ASUS' website. To install from the network, a supported PCMCIA, PCI (or USB?) network card can be used. The driver is included in Linux 2.4.22 and above (module name b44). Most reports are that the driver is stable; although some have experienced problems with 2.4.22's version (2.4.23 changelog include fixes to this driver)."

Found on this page

So hopefully it is already there. Try typing in a console, as root user;

modprobe b44

and see if you just get a prompt return with no errors.

My knowledge in restarting the network server in Knoppix or Mandrake is rusty, but you should be able to add it in Knoppix in modules.conf to start on boot, if you get the command prompt after the modprobe command with no errors.

I'll let the real networking gurus explain this to you more fully.

i still cant detect my lancard!!!

do i hav to change the irq's??

how???

What result did modprobe b44 show? This would determine if the driver is compiled in the kernel or not.

Are you using a dynamic or static ISP?

Start at the basics before worrying about IRQ's and such.

If you have dual boot with Windows, does the card get detected by windows and is it usable in Windows?

wen i try to run modprobe i get no errors at all, but when i try to ping to my server, i get a host unreachable message!!!both in mandrake and in knoppix.

jarves,

Knoppix usually does a great job with automatically setting up network settings.(haven't tried Mandrake yet)

How are you connected to the Internet? Are you behind a router? Are you getting an IP address via dhcp?

From root or su post your results from ifconfig out here so we can see it. I wonder if you are having DNS, or routing issues with knoppix?

Ditto what Raist999 said.

Is this a hard drive install of Knoppix, or off the cd?

I'll have to look at Knoppix and see what it has.

Does the card work in any other OS?

my lancard works on other os like windows, my knoppix is installed on the harddrive and i am not connected to the internet and i am using static ip. i have a windows server and my knoppix is on a workstation. My lancard and network is fine with red hat 9.0 using samba. it can ping to the server using samba and even mount it. when i installed knoppix in the hard drive i used the debian style and knoppix style like in the cd. you see i installed 4 linux distro's and red hat is the only distro that's working fine with the network.

Can you post your ifconfig results from your knoppix install? Does eth0 show up as a network device?

Maybe try to run Ethereal and see if you see anything in a packet trace.

Good Luck