Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bluesky64

Netwoking in a Windows Network environment

I am new to linux and just downloaded and installed Mandrake on my computer in a Windows network. I'm very happy with the installation but now face a new challange. How can I view other computers and download a file from another computer's sharedocs local? (just like I'd normally do in xp windows)

What version of Mandrake are you running?

You can do this with the package Samba (client), if it was included in the install.

You need to know the default user name, password and workgroup. Depending on what version of Windows that you have...mshome or workgroup is the workgroup name.

I have multiple Linux distros on my system. Some set up samba on install, some have to be configured. For example, Linspire put a nice icon on the desktop called "network." Click on it and it shows the other systems on the local network.

On most Linux systems, you can make the icon on the desktop easily.

You can also use a command line smbclient.

One quick way to check this out, is to make the icon. Cick click on the desktop, -->create new-->link to location. Give it a name and in the "enter link to location" text area put in smb:/, saving the result.

Click on the icon and see if the workgroup shows. Click on that and you should see your share drives. You may be prompted for the user name and password first.