Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bluesky64

Very newbie question!

I am trying to install Mandrake 10.0 on a new AMD 2600+ with a 40gb hard drive. I downloaded the .iso files 10.0 Community and copied the .iso to the 3 disks. I put disk one into the cd and it wouldn't boot. CD 2 and 3 wouldn't boot either. What did I do wrong or need to do? Is the install disks bootable and can I format the hard drive with the install disks? Only want to run Linux on this new machine.

Originally posted by bluesky64:

Quote:
and copied the .iso to the 3 disks.

You mean you burned the iso to disk (I hope).

Yes I burned Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso directly to cd1 and so on. The cd disk would not boot for me. I must be doing something basically wrong.

what are you using to burn the .iso images. and plus did you go into bios and change your bootup options to boot from the cdrom first and not the hard disk or floppy check those frist

To clarify burning to disk, in your burning software, did you choose the "burn Image" option? Not just burning the iso file to the cd.

What burning software package are you using?

Do you see the iso file on the cd when you look at it, or a list of many files/directories?

Also, you need to burn the image on a good quality cdr or cdrw, at 4X or 8X, not the top speed rated for the cdrw drive.

I reset my bios settings so that it will boot from the cd only and I copied the iso file to the 700mb cd using the explorer window in xp windows. I checked the cd in windows and it appears the .iso file is sitting on the cd. Thanks.

That's the purpose of all these Questions. You cannot 'copy' the iso file to the CD. Instead you must 'burn the image' using the iso image option preferably with a program like Roxio or Nero. If you're seeing the iso file on the CD then you will not be able to boot.