Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HawkBoy

File sharing through VPN

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a VPN and am having some problems. I have set up the server and client and they connect fine. The problem is that neither side can see the other in the network places. They both have the same workgroup name and I've refreshed enough, but they just don't see each other. Any thoughts?

The server is behind a router but has the correct port (1723) forwarded

I'm not completely sure about the client (it's a friends pc for now). Does it need to forward anything (no, right?)

We were both running zonealarm, but turning it off (on both sides) didn't help.

Thanks in advance

Also, if this had been posted before, please tell me. I've searched both the net and this forum for hours and can't find anything

i would also like to know if someone can answer this.

to my knowledge that is one of the drawbacks of microsoft vpn. u can address other computers directly by ip but not by name. u cant' join a domain that i'm aware and cant see them in explorer.

address by ip,

what do you mean by that? Do I just use their normal internet IP? In that case, how do I know if, for example, I'm pinging them through the vpn and not just accross the net?

when im connected vpn to work all my pings go thru the vpn.

if u can ping the internal nat address then u know u are in.

while connected to vpn it's best to have your nat addy's (if u have any) different than your vpn.

i.e. domain addresses are 192.168.xxx then change yours to 207.67.xxx

u can map a network drive directly if u know the share name

(which is how i do it from home)

Thanks a lot.

I can transfer files now.

My problem is, I also want to set up remote desktop through vpn, but the client can't seem to access the server through the vpn ip.

I don't have to open a port for that since the data should go through VPN, right?

Also, I don't really care if I have to map the folders, but I'm seeing a lot of people talking about using the lmhosts file to map the network. No one has said how this is supposed to be done, but everyone keeps saying lmhosts =).

btw, why can't I edit my own posts in this forum?

remote desktop should work thru vpn

just make sure the client firewalls (xp) are turned off or the remote desktop service added...

i tried lmhosts but i just didnt have any luck myself. maybe im just doing it wrong