Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Calo

Outlook Express allows port scanning

Whenever I use Outlook Express I start to have my ports scanned. If I'm surfing the net and use any other application whether thats IE6, MSN Messenger, Real Player or WM Player without Outlook Express then no scanning takes place. But as soon as I load up Outlook Express it starts again!

I used the Symantec Security check and it said I have the following ports open:

ICMP

Every other port is STEALTH.

How can I stop being scanned when using Outlook Express?

To add onto APK's thoughts I would like to mention the following:

Port Scanning is where somebody or multiple users are scanning your specific IP address for any/all open ports on your local machine. There could be some sort of mal/spy/trojan installed on your box that only launches when your email app is loaded, in this case OE. Port scanning should occur regardless of the net app you have loaded, in this case if you are just online/connected to your ISP then there is a possibility that you could be getting port scanned. A good software firewall should help you determine if this is truly occuring or not, like APK mentioned I too recommend Zone Alarm Personal Edition.

I would also recommend d/l'ing AdAware 6.xx Personal Edition and scan your box for any of these kinds of apps installed in the background.