Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Talant

Problems with OldSchool games

I've recently gotten re-interested in old pc games that I used to play years back - 'Tegel's Mercenaries', 'Jagged Alliance', and 'Stronghold'(1992) from Stormfront Studios, not Firefly. 'Stronghold' works but I can't any sound, when I found a setting that got me sound on the opening screen I couldn't get past the opening screen.

When starting 'Mercenaries' I get the "Loading Tegel's Mercenaries..." screen, then "'mercs.exe.' i not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" message.

'Jagged Alliance' I'm not sure which file is supposed to run the game 'JA.exe' or 'DOS4GW.exe.' Each of them give me a different response without getting into the game.

'Ja.exe' gets me "DOS\4GW Professional Protected Mode Run-time Version 1.97 Copyright <c> Rational Systems, Inc. 1990-1994" then returns me to the DOS promt and 'DOS4GW.exe.' gets me the same message with "DOS\4GW fatal error <1004>: syntax is DOS4GW <executable.xxx>" after it.

I'm totally clueless as to what any of these problems are but if anyone else has experienced anything like this or if you know of anyway I could fix these problems it would be greatly appreciatted. Thankyou.

Try running this stuff on a dos emulator like Abandon Loader.

www.angelfire.com/realm/zeroone/

There's also a sound emulator to help your Audigy or whatever remember what it was like having 8-bit Sound Blasters called VDMware.

If you're keen you can then start getting real old school. Track down games that fall under abandonware, ie stuff that the copyright has been forgotten about.

xtcabandonware.com

Have a good one.

try using emulators. they helped me play some games such as metal slug. dunno about those games though. x)

since u have an xp and that is semi compatible w/those old games u should try changing compatability which is somewhere in control panel or get an older version of windows

Found a great Dos Extender for XP..

http://dos32a.sourceforge.net/html/user/3.html

Download it here..

http://dos32a.sourceforge.net/html/

Used it to run X-Com, UFO Defense - no other mods, just rename the file dos32a.exe in the BINW folder in the ZIP file you download to dos4gw.exe - I put in the System32 folder, so it can be found by other apps, as well the the game's folder. X-Com ran right under XP with this smile Sound and all!

I am going to use the Abandon loader, as well to smooth out the game speed..

I don't know if this'll help you, but to run something in compatibility mode in XP, you just have to right click on the exe file and go to properties. Then go the compatibility mode tab and click the checkbox... Trying it in 95 or 98 compatability mode might do something...