Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
phat_bhat

Windows XP Login Problem

My XP is on NTFS. What boot utility will allow access to my C drive? I have same problem like the others here.

Thanks

Originally posted by peterh:

Quote:
The recovery console is available from booting from a retail or OEM version of Windows XP (Restore discs don`t count).

You can install the Recovery console by running from the XP CD:

d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

If you have a FAT32 volume, any normal DOS or Win98 boot disk will do.

If you have NTFS then you need to boot from a utility to give you r/w access to your C: drive.

To replace userinit.exe:

1. Boot using Recovery console (or other cmd prompt with access to C: drive)

2. CD Windows\System32

3. Expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ userinit.exe (or Copy d:\i386\userinit.ex_ userinit.exe) where d: is CDROM drive and need to expand compressed file to full file.

4. type Exit to reboot

I can't give it the administrative password in repair at the repair console, so I don't understand what you all are saying to do.

Please help the dumdum.

The problem for me with Win2k was that there was a problem with Userinit.exe not working/there. hence, the reason why I kept getting the logon loop.

booted into the recovery console, took my other Win2k machine and copied the userinit.exe onto a floppy, and then used "copy A:\userinit.exe C:\winnt\system32/userinit.exe" to put that file in its place. I did have some corruption with Windows after, so I ran a repair of Windows, and that was it, Win2k Booted.

Credit for the solution goes to the combined efforts of:

jonno001

metafizx

Thanks guys!!!!