Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spollock

xp - win2k home network headache!

Hi!

I apologise if this is in the wrong section!

I am trying to network my 2 home pcs together. One is XP (home) the other is a win2k machine.

I have set the xp box as 192.168.0.1 and the win2k machine as 192.168.0.2.

I have set the domain on both machines to HOME.

The problem is - the XP machine can ping the win2k, but not see it when you try to view the network.

The win2k machine cannot ping the xp machine - request times out.

YET! when you change the win2k machine's IP address to the same as XP - BOTH machines flick up an IP address conflict.

XPs machine has the silly built in firewall turned off.

can ANYONE advise where the H*ll im going wrong before I lose all my hair!

Cheers

shocked

Have you set Netmasks to the same value i.e. 255.255.255.0?

How are they connected? Hub or cross over cable?

I'm assuning that the win2k machine is a DC.

Try hitting a the 2k machine with the ip address.

ie) \\192.168.0.x\c$ where x is the ## of the win2k machine.

If you can do this check to see if the XP machine account is added in AD computers and users\computers.

qp

<_

The first thing that I would check is to see if the netmask is the same if I was configuring the ip address manually (as someone mentioned earlier). A program that could help you out alot is realvnc. Install the server on bothmachines and then hover the mouse over the icon in the toolbar. this will give you the ip address of the machine. This program can help if your machines are not all close together (ex: seperate rooms,etc.) You can just rnc into the machine by typing in its computer name & password, and if the machine is recognized to the OS's network. Besides it is free.

I have machines with the same OS's set-up in my own network. The XP machine is set as 192.168.0.1 / 255.255.255.0 then it sends to the network what ip addresses are available from that block. The W2k machine just connects to the network and through RNC I can see that the ip address of that machine changes from 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.0.x . Depending on the number of machines in the network, and within about a minute. I can see all machines connected to the network in My Network Places on all machines in the network. One suggestion is to check out a security/firewall website to make sure your main connection machine is secure on all fronts. XP's built-in firewall is good for WAN connections if you have nothing else, and have closed it default open ports. Check out GRC or PC Flank for more security programs/tests. I hope that this has been helpfull.

--

Red Baron

Can the W2K machine ping itself? Can it ping 127.0.0.1? Can it ping the gateway?

You mention both are in the same domain called HOME. Are you sure they aren't in a workgroup, not a domain? It should be a workgroup unless you have a domain controller running.

sometimes less is more. set both machines to receive an ip address automatically. windows 2000 and xp can boot up and negotiate their ip address automatically using arp (address resolution protocoll). this is a nice feature for small lans without dhcp. even name resolution works. i do this all the time with friends for a quick game of quakeworld or battlefield. just use "ipconfig" to find out what your ip is and you are off and running. if it doesn't show an ip then "ipconfig /renew"

make sure you are using the same user credentials on both machines or at least the account exists on both machines

the xp firewall may not be the best but it ain't silly....if more people had turned it on, we wouldn't have had such a mess when msblaster was around.

Make sure the Internet connection firewall on the XP machine is turned off. When activated it alows you to ping outside but refuses incoming connections./