Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ofelas

Symantec Corporate Antivirus 9; strange issues, please help.

Hi folks, was using Symantec Corporate Antivirus 8.1, just upgraded to version 9.

Tried an upgrade as well as uninstalling v 8.1, then installing v 9, in both cases v 9 absolutely refuses to load the Auto-Protect (realtime scanning) feature.

I read a few Symantec articles targeted towards Corporate v 7.6 & NAV 2002/2003, and duly did various things like deleting the contents of VirusDefs folder & running Intelligent Updater; disabling the XP Firewall (apparently helps with timing issues at boot), and also toggled SAV Corporate's Auto Protect start feature from "at system start" to "when SAV loads" back & forth.

No such luck; SAV Corporate v.9 will NOT load auto protect, and keeps popping a box up "auto protect is not enabled". Here's the Event Log #22 error -

Quote:
Event Type: Warning

Event Source: Symantec AntiVirus

Event Category: None

Event ID: 22

Date: 5/4/2004

Time: 19:59:52

User: N/A

Computer: MALACHI

Description:

The description for Event ID ( 22 ) in Source ( Symantec AntiVirus ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:

Symantec AntiVirus Auto-Protect failed to load..

Any hints?

Next question, in SAV 8.1, it offers to load snap-ins for Exchange/Outlook & Lotus Notes. SAV 9 offers the same two, as well as "internet mail - POP/SMTP", which pretty much just seems to scan ports 110 & 25 outgoing & incoming, and also adds the tray icon when scanning incoming/outgoing mail like NAV 2003/2004.

I have a standalone system with XP_SP2 & Outlook 2003 (non groupware client with POP/SMTP mail), so which do I use - the Exchange/Outlook plugin or the Internet Mail plugin or both?

Thanks...

[Edited by ofelas on 2004-05-05 10:38:45]

Hi there ofelas!

You aren't the only one experiencing this problem. As a matter of fact SAVCORP 9 does not work with WinXP SP2(RC1?), neither does Symantec Client Security 2.0 (esentially the same thing), not without some pretty advanced registry hacking (I've seen it in some forum but don't know if it actually works). This will probably be corrected in the final release of SP2, but don't bet on it!

As I see it, you have three choices:

1) Go back to SAV 8.1

2) Uninstall SP2

3) Try to find a proper registry hack somewhere (Can't help you there I'm afraid, don't remember where it was ;Try different forums, search with Kazaa or eDonkey or whatever...)

Thanks folks...I rolled back to version 8.1...though I did like the POP/SMTP feature in version 9, as well as the outbound worm heuristics & expanded threat/spyware/malware/adware detection features...

Post back if a fix is found under SP2_RC1, as will I...

I'm not sure if I like 9:

1. Waaaayyyy too many services.

2. SSC stopped up[censored] it's listing of computers with defs. I had to reload the old SSC to find out that the new SSC actually did push out the defs but it never actually updated the list. This never happened with the older SSC's. This can probably be troubleshooted by deleting the list and recollecting the data but as I stated before. This never happened with older SSC's.

3. The Microsoft Exchange scanning portion of SAV 9 really annoyed me. Would not let me delete messages because it was scanning. Not sure if previous SAV's were working correctly before but this annoyed me so much that I disabled it.

4. Installation of SAV9 required a reboot for me. Still need to do more testing but I believe SAV 8 didn't......

5. Had problem with SAV 9 and Office. Received error on opening office that the SAV exension could not be loaded. (Documented at Symantec) Still need to research more but I had to delete some registry entries to get the extension to load properly. If this happens on a deployment of SAV 9 then it's possibly that the deletion of the reg entries will need to be included in the SAV package.

smile

I'd recommend the latest ver of Mcaffe. IIRC, it does some of what SAV 9 now does. Such as memory protection. I'll see if I can sit down and do a feature comparison between Mcafee, Trend, NAV.

DosFreak wrote -

Quote:
The Microsoft Exchange scanning portion of SAV 9 really annoyed me. Would not let me delete messages because it was scanning. Not sure if previous SAV's were working correctly before but this annoyed me so much that I disabled it.

Assuming you use Outlook or other POP mail, does the new for version 9 "Internet Mail" snap-in do the job after you disable the Exchange/Outlook snap-in?

A comparision of SAV Corporate 8 or 9 against McAfee Corporate (?) would be great...

Apparently there's a pre-RC2 build 2126 around...anyone tried this with SAV 9 to see if Auto Protect now works?

Did anyone find a solution to this problem? I am using SP2 RC1 and would like to be able to use SAV Corp 9. I have searched high and low for the registry edits referred to earlier but haven't been able to find anything. Thanks!

Originally posted by ofelas:

Quote:
Works like greased owl$hit on SP2_build_2126 laugh

Trying to figure out if that is good or not :-\

So it's fixed with 2126? If so, it's off to update to 2126 for me :-)

Yessir, fixed with build 2126, and works real smooth & slick like...seems more responsive than version 8.1...

If You have: "auto-protect failed to load" - try this way >>>

Start regedit.exe.

Find: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SAVRT

Change: C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\savrt.sys

to

\??\C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\savrt.sys

Find: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SAVRTPEL

Change: C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Savrtpel.sys

to

\??\C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Savrtpel.sys

I'm using windows xp pro sp 2 build 2120 and upgraded to CE 9 from 8.1 works fine for me.

I'm having the problem mentioned above but with sp2 builds 2138 and 2142 and I cant reinstall CE 9.0 and the reg keys below dont exist.

Originally posted by ShoGinn:

Quote:

Start regedit.exe.

Originally posted by ShoGinn:

Quote:

Start regedit.exe.

Change: C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\savrt.sys

to

\??\C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\savrt.sys

Change: C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Savrtpel.sys

to

\??\C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Savrtpel.sys

That did squat. Any further information on this problem available?

Originally posted by cardinal:

Quote:

That did squat. Any further information on this problem available?

I tried doing a manual uninstall

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent...v=&osv_lvl=

but that didnt work for me it only made things worst so I formatted and reloaded my system (it had been over a year since I did it). I installed mcafee enterprise 7.0 this time around.

If you guys figure this one out, please let me know.. i'm having the EXACT same problem. My problem is a little more touchy though because SP2 (RC2) isn't in my add/remove programs so I can't delete it, meaning I can't upgrade it.

Originally posted by Shrink:

Quote:
Did anyone find a solution to this problem? I am using SP2 RC1 and would like to be able to use SAV Corp 9. I have searched high and low for the registry edits referred to earlier but haven't been able to find anything. Thanks!

Guess what!!! i had this problem with my Win XP SP1 and it didn't happen on my other computer with Win XP SP2. Uninstalled it, rebooted, reinstalled it, now auto-protect is working on both computers (never gave me a problem with SP2!!!).

I think i got that problem because I had NAV 2003 Pro in there before. I had it uninstalled because my subscription run out. now working perfect (and seems to take up way less memory than that lazy NAV 2003). smile

Edit: takes up less resources: from 218MB PF Usage down to 177MB on startup!!!! pretty quick too. NICE!!!!!!!!

I work for a help desk at a university. We have had many problems with 9.0. The main problem we have had is that it won't let us do live updates. Most cases we have to revert from 9.0 back to 8.1.

In the end we have to uninstall 9.0 and live update. WE also have to delete the hidden symantec folder in application data. Does anyone have any fixes for this. We have this problem in windows 2000, XP-SP1 & Sp2

Thanks

I had the same problem with 9.0 and called the Symantec support. They sent me a tool that removed everything related to the application, which obviously not a normal uninstall does. I then reinstalled the 9.0 and the problem was gone. So call the support.

regards / bc

I had this same problem after upgrading from an earlier version. I had to completely uninstall and clean the registry of all hints of past installs.

Hi friends,

Just see how I cured the two errors: 1)"Symantec Antivirus Auto-Protect failed to Load", and 2)"Fatal error during installation"; and see why I received the errors.

I initially had Symantec Antivirus Corporate Ed. (V 9.0) alone in my PC and it was working fine. Then I installed Norton Internet Security 2004, and live-updated it. But then, I realised my PC is running slow as it has less physical memory. So I decided to unstall Norton Internet Security. After unstalling it I was surprised to find that my earlier existing Symantec Antivirus Corporate Ed. is not working properly and it is showing the above mentioned error No.1. (Symantec Antivirus Auto-Protect failed to Load). Then I tried to unstall Symantec Antivirus Corporate Ed. so that I can reinstall a fresh copy of it. But I was again surprised that it is not even unstalling and showing error No.2. (Fatal error during installation). I was totally frustrated.

Then I did some R&D, also visited this site. Then by trial and error method, I cured the two problems like this:

I downloaded "Windows Installation History Cleanup" program from Microsoft site and run it. I selected to clean the installation history of "Symantec Antivirus Corporate Ed.". Then I again tried to reinstall it. And to my astronishment this time it worked. And now it is working fine.

Regards

vkrsoft

(www.geocities.com/vkrsoft)

Hi, I have had this problem on two different PCs in as many days. Following the direction on the Symantec page (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent...src=bar_sch_nam)

did not solve the problem. Re-installing SAV did not solve the problem. I was able to fix it by doing the following:

1)uninstall the antivirus and liveupdate software using add/remove programs

2)search the hard drive for "Symantec" and delete anything I find

3)search the registry for references to Symantec and delete them

4)restart

5)reinstall SAV. Now auto-protect loads normally.