Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ZadrraS

Fedora Core 1 doesn't see my lan card.

I tried to set it up with Network configuration wizard (if thats how its called), but it just says that it can't find the device, its not even in the list so i picked the named closest to how mine is called. I have a integrated lan card, the one that comes with AN7 (Nforce2 chipset) (its :Onboard RTL8201BL).

How do i make it see it?

PS: If thats needed too, i connect to the internet through my sisters computer with 2 lan cards.

This is a common problem with this motherboard. Support for the nForce chipsets and nic is very limited out of the box. There have been quite a few posts on this problem.

If you have no or little experience with installing drivers in linux or altering the bootloader, the easiest thing would be to go out any buy a Realtek pci nic card ($10-15) and forget the onboard nic card. if you decide on this, disable the onboard nic/lan in the bios.

If you know what you are doing in Linux, you could try installing the NVIDIA chipset drivers, not the video driver and give it a go.

If someone would donate one of these boards to me, I would give it a go! smile

Hmmm, i have little experience with Linux, but i would like to get away without buying a new lan card... Is there any guides how i fix this?

And another q, what exactly does "nic" mean?

Maybe a friend has a NIC, (Network Interface Card) lying around you could use? Most of them will work with Linux. If not, and there is a way to do it, I would take danleff's advice and just spring the $10.00 for the card. This will save you a world of aggravation in the long run.

On the other hand, if you're really interested in learning Linux, getting your present set up working will teach you an awful lot.. if you have the patience. smile

Thats exactly what i want to do, learn Linux. But it would be good to know where to start, right now, i have no idea smile

i agree with danleff on getting a nic if your going to keep fedora

i have an nforce2 as well and the issue is the default kernel is not supporting nforce2 once fedora core 2 comes out then it will

to get it to work youll need 2.6 or later kernel

your options are

get a 10$ NIC

change distros

get drivers

change kernels

your best bet is to get a NIC if you have the cash

heres the thread i started over on nvidias site about fedora 1

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26149