Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Four and Twenty

Installed new dual processors and it woln't work

I have an old gateway gx-450xl

it has a daul pii xeon motherboard in it based on the 440gx chipset

the system came with one p2 450 xeon 512k processor and a terminator card.

I ordered a matched pair of p2 xeon 450 512k processors and installed them. No luck it says that the cache is disabled and it only recognizes one of them.

if have tested both processors individualy and they both work fine.

when i boot the computer with both of them in there it runs really slow due to the cache being disabled.

latest bios updateds are installed.

i did install a new video card at the same time but i doubt that that would cause the second processor and the cach not to be recognized.

Are there different versions of the p2 xeon that support dual mode. If there ar that sucks because i have three single ones.

-Jeff

i don't think you are understanding me correctly

i will reinstall the os if neccisary

but the second proccessor is not recognized at post!

Setting in the bios?... or pins on the MB? See if you can get a diagram & manual from Gateway. Also, You need to set the #of processors in 'devices' as I remember.

u said a "matched" pair

does that mean a primary and a stepping processor.

the dually requirements for the p4 xeon is opposite than the

p2 and p3.

Easy peezy, probably. I ran into sme issue with an HP server. In my case, it needed a VRM (voltage regulation module) Bought directly from hp for the bios to see the cpu. You probably have the same isue.

Just thinking out of the box here...

With the second processor added, and the new video card that may well be pulling more power than the old one, perhaps the power supply might be coming a up a little short. Not that I've experienced a problem like this, but it may be worth testing if you have an extra one (preferably stronger) laying around, as strange things can happen when there isn't enough juice to keep things running properly.

my p3 800 dual i needed to buy a primary and a stepping processor.

wouldnt work with 2 of the same. a step processor was different.

the p4's dont require that

My P3 800 dual I currently run has 2 processors with different stepping (whatever that means if ayone knows pease splain it for me.)

they run great too and have for years.

Originally posted by duhmez:

Quote:
My P3 800 dual I currently run has 2 processors with different stepping (whatever that means if ayone knows pease splain it for me.)

they run great too and have for years.

Different core stepping means that it is a new core version. Maybe some errors have been fixed...

Intel explains it in their processor specification, but who cares as long as it works smile

Usualy you need two processors with the same stepping to run dual cpu's (p2, p3) but I have also seen dual systems which didn't meet this requirement. I guess the steppings are not so different afterall (read: intel doesn't really fix anything they just name it a new stepping smile )

sorry i didn't post back sooner you guys really went nuts on this

anyhow i am a member of 2cpu also as alec mentioned and i got my answer there (and here from dumez albeit a bit later)

the answer was the missing VRM

I have ordered one from gateway and it should be here on monday.

I am glad i will have a second dually back

I have a 2x p3 850 system on i840

and for some stupid reason i sold my 2x p3 500 440bx system

anyway the second p2 will be a nice upgrade because i am using that machine 2 days a week as my primary computer now.

tue and wed every week i am working at a my company's new sister company which is about an hour south of my office.

It has been really fun to get out of town and work with another company especially because a lot more people work there and I am the lead software engineer. We are designing some pretty neat web applications using sql asp, asp.net, and php.

I would like to move fully to asp.net but it is a tough transition to get everyone up to speed on it (myself included)

It seems that even though the asp.net is more robust I still like the freedom of the near lack of structure in classic asp. there are lots of little tricks and shady manuvers that you can pull off in classic with ease.

kinda got off on a tangent there sorry.

*eagerly awaits his VRM that cost more than both p2 xeons*

funny isn't it

p2 xeon $14 a peice

VRM $49

got it installed and it works perfectly

get this win 2003 auto detects the second processor and installs the multiprocessor HAL all by itself.

A couple questions. What is a VRM and where do you install it at? What is the purpose of a VRM? Where did you get those 450 XEON processors for $14??? I have an old Gateway GX-450xl and I want to add the second processor to it.

Thanks!

A VRM is a voltage regulitoin module, designed to be a scam for server purchasers. the mobo does not come with it and they can charge extra $ for it when you wanna go dual. I would assume it regulated the voltage...

If you need one try the manufacturwer website. If its discontinued try ebay.

Will any 450mhz XEON processor with 512k cache work? In other words, would an IBM or Compaq processor work in my Gateway?

Originally posted by tbittner:

Quote:
Will any 450mhz XEON processor with 512k cache work? In other words, would an IBM or Compaq processor work in my Gateway?

yes i beleive any one will work

i have an extra one if you want it

i got my VRM from gateway for $49

Originally posted by duhmez:

Quote:
A VRM is a voltage regulitoin module, designed to be a scam for server purchasers. the mobo does not come with it and they can charge extra $ for it when you wanna go dual. I would assume it regulated the voltage...

If you need one try the manufacturwer website. If its discontinued try ebay.

Yeah, we had to get extra ones for COMPAQ servers.

Bloody annoying!