Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
scarletFire

Laptop installation

I am having a problem installing linux on my laptop. I need to find out which drivers to use for the nVidia GoFX5600--dont think they are the same. Any help would be appreciated-have been to many sites and no luck-laptop is Alienware and nobody seems to have that much info on these.

What have you already tried? I know that Mepis works well on most laptops. Currently they're working on getting nVidia drivers working in the latest betas. A lot of discussion on 'how to'.

www.mepis.org

I would agree. Try a live based cd and see which one seems to work, then consider that distro. On my Thinkpad, Mandrake 9 ran well and I currently have Lindows (or is it Linspire) Laptop Edition runnng very well on it. Neither work with my modem, a Lucent AMR softmodem, but the nic is fine.

While the video consideration is the most important (actually getting it going), so is the internet access. If you are using a modem to connect to the internet, make sure that you determine that it is Linux compatible. Many are not, although the support is getting better. If you have a nic card, this should not be an issue.

thanks guys

I tried Mandrake 9 first, but that was before the new nVidia drivers came out. Trying to get all resources/drivers now to install. I am using a NIC card so wont have any modem issues. I guess all that is left to do is to install everything. Trying to set up a dual boot w/bootMagic--once I have everthing working, I'll post results. Any other tips for troubleshooting this ahead of time would be appreciated---first time Linux user so we'll see....