Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
setebos

might and magic 6

i'm trying to run MM6 and for the life of me i can't get it to work. i've tried the compatibiltiy settings and i get absolutely nothing. everytime i go to run the game i get an error message and the game crashes. i don't even get to the opening movie.

My systems specs are:

P4C 2.6ghz

1GB PC3200

Geforce FX video card

Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum

ABIT IC7 MoBo

WinXP Pro, SP1

please help me if there are any other known solutions

thanks!

At my PC, the game's also not running.

But at a friends computer, it runs without troubles. No idea why.

We both have Win XP SP1.

Greetings

Rainer

I had similar problems with vii. The only way I can get it to run is changing the desktop color to 16 bit so I can run the game windowed. Starting it up in a windowed software mode. then once the game is running hitting f4 so it goes into full screen. It runs this way Just wish I could run in hardware mode :x

Might and Magic looks better in Software Mode then in Hardware Mode. But windowded.... :-(

I'll try it. Maybe it works.

Thx

Rainer

you hit F4 once the game is running and it'll go back to full screen.

If I change to "Win98 compatibility", I have an error message: "E:\Spiele\MIGHTA~1\mss32.dll: Pager initialisation error 2 - the system cannot find this file". But the file is there. Any idea?

Greetings

Rainer

In regard to your problem. I had the same. I have found a solution.;)

First you need to do google search for a program called DeShrink V1.6.

Use this program to DeShrink the driver named MSS32.dll.

I have found that there are times when compatibility mode must be specified for ALL executables in ALL directories, including those on CD.

Before you install, search for and find ALL executables on BOTH CD's. On install cd mark all exe to either compatibility mode 95 or 98, I used 95. After this, remove cd then put cd back in so that your install prog starts automatically.

After install completes, insert play cd, cancel autoplay, change compatibility to ALL exe files on cd.

Then you must go to where game is installed and change compatibility to ALL exe files.

This is when you use DeShrinker prog.

There are a few other things you must do.

If you bios permits you to overclock your system, then you should also be able to UNDERclock wink my system is 2.6 I underclocked to 1.5, this solves the problem of your processor being to FAST for Might and Magic 6.

I also disabled my AGP acceleration in dxdiag

Start run dxdiag 3rd tab

ONE MORE THING IN DXDIAG, I ALSO MOVED SLIDER ALL THE WAY TO THE LEFT TO DISABLE HARDWARE ACCELLERATION FOR AUDIO.

This solution works for me hope it helps out with this really good game.

PS. Please distribute this to others you know of who are experiencing the same problem 8)

I also have problems with MM6. The game stalls on me every minute or so. I downloaded DeShrink V1.6, but it wouldn't deshrink the mss___.dll file. Also how do you underclock your system. I have a 3.2 Ghz. Does underclocking affect the system performance for other programs.

I did everything else suggested.

thanks.

OK, I'll try that when I have time.

A few open questions:

How much should I underclock my system? I have 3 GHz and don't want to work with 1,5GHz.

What does this DeShrink program exactly?

>Does underclocking affect the system performance for other programs.

Yes, of course.

Thanks in advance

Rainer

are u guys using the 1.2 patch ?

1.2 doesnt work for me, i get an error while patching. i can only seem to use 1.1

and i tried thgat thing above with deshrinker - the deshrink worked but didnt seem to do anything at all to fix the problem.

anyone know a work-around ?

[Edited by y2jeff on 2005-01-16 03:41:00]

Originally posted by Rivx:

Quote:
I had similar problems with vii. The only way I can get it to run is changing the desktop color to 16 bit so I can run the game windowed. Starting it up in a windowed software mode. then once the game is running hitting f4 so it goes into full screen. It runs this way Just wish I could run in hardware mode :x

How do you get the game to run in software mode?

I am having the same problems as everyone else is with the mss32.dll file frown