Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lotus

Question for you Win2k3 Server users

We are now in a need to upgrade our version of windows from WIn2k Pro to Win2k3 Server for our small business. I know that this is going to open up a whole new world for us.

My main question is this. We use a database program called DME v6.5 for managing our oxygen clients records, equipment etc. Currently our client workstations access the program through a simple mapped drive. The program resides only on the server, no part of it is installed on the clients.

After we implement Win2k3 Server, will there be a way to make the program run a little faster over our network? Someone said that Active Directory could be implemented and that it might benefit us. I am new to active directory, so I don't really know what it does. Can someone please explain what AD is and what the benefits are from it?

How small is your "small" business?

Active Directory is basically used to centrally manage your users, PCs, servers, access, etc. It's typically used in a MS Exchange email environment. I would recommend it if you have 50+ users and PCs (I don't remember the exact Microsoft recommended number).

AD will not speed up your application but replacing your server, upgrading your network infrastructure, and/or client PCs may.

You could always load up a test box, setup the app, and test a few clients on it to see if you notice any improvements.

Good luck.

Ty for the reply... Our business is small with only 12 PC's. We are however upgrading our win2k Pro desktop to an actual server finally. The server specs FAR surpass the older comp, so hopefully we will see a small diff.

Going from a PII 400mhz with 128megs of pc133 to a P4 2.8ghz with 512megs of DDR. Plus the hard drive is a little faster. We are going from a 5500rpm to a 7200 enhanced ata100. It's not scsi but it's an improvement.

Alec, the program we use is designed by Carecentric. It is sort of like a dos emulation program. We are also using Pervasive SQL v8 on all our clients. All the settings for Pervasive are default so I am looking around for ways to improve performance via that route as well.

As far as source code..I wish =) The program is pretty big, over 200 megs for the many .exe's, tac on a bunch more for all the db related files.

Well our new server should be here today or tomorrow. Pretty excited about the whole deal! I'll probably have a few questions regarding Win2k3 at some point, but for now, thanks for the info you have given me so far. (Although some went right over my head hehe)