Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LotusGT69

apple monitor on a pc?

is this possible? i saw the 20" wide screens and they look beautiful. do they have the same connector as the pc video cards do (dvi)? has anyone tried this?

thanks

lotus

No. Apple's latest monitor connection looks pretty close to DVI, but it won't work. I believe there are converters available, but I'm not 100% positive.

The apple connector is referred to as ADC... that should help you in your search for converters.

Last time I looked though, the converters were really expensive - it would probably be better to pay a little premium to get a really nice PC LCD display with native DVI.

I gather that you're enquiring about DVI connectivity, so I can't really comment on that. However, it IS possible to use an Apple analogue CRT monitor on a PC (15-pin sub D) - so analogue operation - as I do that on my second PC.

I tried for ages to get a small PC-to-Apple video cable adaptor in the UK but had to give up in the end. I then quickly found a supplier of such an adapter in Florida and, for $15 including postage, got one. Works fine. Nothing to do with digital, though.

Converters can be had all over the place, but they aren't cheap. I've seen some as high as $400USD. Apple actually makes one themselves they sell for $99USD. They claim it only works on PowerBooks and G5s with DVI, but I have it on pretty good authority (my brother) that he uses one with a PC, and it works just fine. The USB plug just enables the 2-port usb hub on the back of the display, and it works on the PC too, at least that's my understanding.

http://www.apple.com/displays/adapter.html

This one looks like a "swiss army knife" of adapters, but it would probably do the job just fine.

http://mac-pro.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=dviator&Category_Code=cb