Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ntexpert

Compatible Programs for NT 3.51

I'm currently setting up a computer for a friend. It's only a 486-66, but he wanted stability over compatibility so I'm installing NT 3.51 SP5. My question is, what basic programs will actually run on the O/S? My friend wants AIM (ugg), and IE/OE, so I want to know which versions will work on 3.51. Also, I had heard that there was a beta version of WMP (5.2?), but I'm not sure if its for 3X or NT. If it works, I'll just throw it in too.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Chris.

Install either NT4 or 98SE with 98lite.

Make sure you have AT LEAST 12mg of memory.

I dunno tho, from a security standpoint you might be better off with 3! smile

Thanks for the help. I had completely forgotten about the taskbar thing. So, since neither IE nor Netscape now run on NT3, does anybody have an idea if Mozilla is compatible? One last thing, is it possible to install a newer version of WMP? Say v.6+. Anyway, thanks again.

Oh, and the video card in the system is a Trident 2Meg VLB.

Ahh someone else who still uses NT 3 1/2 and a bit! laugh

I'm in a bit of a rush but here goes:

Well there are a vast number of programs that work well in this wonderful little OS and here are a few of them: (for most of these 32Mb RAM highly recommended).

Web Browsers:

IE 5.01 (16bit) can be downloaded at:

ftp://ftp.indo.net.id/pub/win3.x/browser/ie501.zip

**Note: It's a bit wobbly and rather bloaty to say the least but it's still servicable if IE is your browser of choice. Before you run the setup program included, make sure you delete the .cab file that contains the Win 3.x TCP stack and dialer (or it will screw up the NT 3.51 version).

Netscape Navigator 4.08 / Communicator 4.75 / 7.02:

Nearly all of Netscape's browsers work and are availiable on their ftp server. I managed to get all upto and including 4.75 to install sucessfully. (although I have heard that others managed to get later versions to run) In any case there is a lot of junk that comes with these browsers (media players / instant messaging etc) these program DON'T work under NT 3.51 so don't bother installing them.

The final version I had sucess with can be downloaded from:

ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape7/english/7.02/windows/win32/

Mozilla:

The installers that come with these browsers don't work so use the zipped versions available on the mozilla.org ftp server. The last working version is 1.3.1

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.3.1/mozilla-win32-1.3.1-talkback.zip

Firefox doesn't seem to work, infact the last version I managed to get up and running was Phoenix 0.5

Opera:

Officially opera only supports 3.62 under Win 3.x, but I have yet again heard rumours that 6.x versions can be used. In all honesty Opera can be a VERY wobbly browser unless it is set up just right so I would save yourself the hastle and skip it.

Plugins:

(plugins will only install and work in Netscape or Mozilla based browsers)

Flash player works upto version 6, which can be downloaded at:

http://www.future-tech.com.tw/Eng/download.htm

Quicktime / DivX / Windows Media

Sorry your out of luck here, all the older versions of these programs don't support the new encoding/formats used.

Real Player:

You can install upto realplayer 8. (although embedded video links do work you will only hear the audio from them).

http://proforma.real.com/real/player/blackjack.html

Sun Java:

Seems to work right upto and including the lastest version.

Acrobat Reader:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/win/3.x/

(make sure you use the 32bit version)

For media players your in luck. (but again files encoded using modern versions of Quicktime / DivX and WM won't work)

Winamp (1.x & 2.x) Winamp seems to work ok. Make sure that you set your plugins to use 'wav out' rather than Direct Sound (for obvious reasons). Also the video support in later versions doesn't work and as of yet I haven't managed to fix skin support (but I'm guessing all that is needed is a registry patch).

For Mpeg / Mpeg 2 support

lots of potential players here:

http://www.win31.de/esoft.htm

File sharing / Instant Messaging:

I can't seem to find any programs in this catagory that work in NT 3.x sorry. You might be able to find a command line based irc program but I don't know for sure.

Shell and GUI:

Calmira is a shell that replaces progam manager with an explorer style shell. You will need to locate the 32bit compatible version. (I can't find it... but the search goes on).

System Admin:

www.sysinternals.com is the best place to go for these (although NT comes with the basics). As a general rule command line based ones have a better chance of sucess but basically it's a case of trial and error.

Power archiver is an excellent prog for dealing with nearly every compression format there is. I haven't tried the GUI version but the command line version works fine in NT3. (Make sure you add your install dir to your path list for ease of use later).

Office 97 (or it's associated viewers) work ok.

Paint Shop Pro 3.12 (32bit) shareware works ok... yeah I know :P

Hope the above helps, just post here again if you get stuck (although I'll be on holiday for the next week or so!)

Excellent responses to this question. Allow me to add.

Internet

=========================

1)Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.02 for NT:

This was the first IE release meant for NT 3.51. It includes an NT compatible dialer and is pretty small.

2)Mozilla 1.7

The current version of Mozilla will work but you will haveto replace the OLEAUT32.DLL file with the one from Win95 or NT 4.0. Head to Toasty's site for more info http://www.toastytech.com/guis/misc5.html

You can also find a download for the second version of New Shell for NT 3.51 there.

3)AOL Instant Messenger 3.1

This is the 16bit version of the popular instant messenger service. The 32bit version (like the one included with Netscape) won't work

Commercial Software Shortlist

============================================

Norton NT Tools 1.0

This is the first and only utilities suite Norton ever released for NT 3.51. It is no longer supported or sold. However virus definitions can still be updated. It includes the following programs: Norton Antivirus 2.0 for NT, Norton File Manager, Norton System Doctor, Norton System Information and Norton Control Center. If you can't find it let me know.

Norton Antivirus 4.0

Last version that works with NT 3.51. Can still be updated

Quarterdeck Cleansweep 3.0

Only Uninstaller ever produced for NT 3.51 that uninstalls both 16bit and 32bit programs. No longer supported or produced. One update was produced, the Deluxe version, that included Internet Sweep.

Executive Software Diskeeper 1.09 for NT 3.51

Only commercial defrag released, not reccommended because it changes the kernel. I think there is freeware defrag that doesn't do this.

Microsoft Office 4.0, 95, and 97

Microsoft Money until '98

Microsoft Encarta until '98

Microsoft Publisher until '97

Microsoft Frontpage until '97

Microsoft Works 4.5

Adobe Photoshop 2.5, 3.0, and 4.0

more i will post later........

Many Win 95 and NT 4.0 programs can be made to work with NT 3.51. This can be as simple copying over DLL's that an install asked for or as semi hassle like installing a program on another computer and then copying the unpacked folders over to Nt 3.51 and simply clicking on the executable. This process can be used to get Adobe Acrobat 4.0 to run, which won't install normally.

There is more info on compatibility later when I have time.

If you would like to explore alternative shells, I remember there being an official [Microsoft] beta release of the Win95 style interface for NT 3.51 which may allow you to run programs that use the taskbar notification tray. I don't know how advanced it was but it may help you.

You can grab it here: http://toastytech.com/guis/misc5.html

Otherwise there is a 3rd party app called Calmira that, although designed for Win 3.1, works on 3.51 apparently. Some bods have even got Calmira to look like XP.

http://www.calmira.de/

Hope this helps you smile

Yep, sorry APK I missed that bit. smile

I too dreaded the idea of searching through 30 odd ancient MSDN disks to find it.

I remember trying it once and promptly taking it off - way too buggy.

That's cool that you have all that software that works with NT 3.51. If you ever get time let us know if their are any programs we missed.

Multimedia in NT 3.51

-------------------------------------

This is the area where NT 3.51 has the most trouble with. Since DirectX was never implemented for NT 3.51, the newer Windows Media Player 6.4 won't work. There is little or no video acceleration with the OS because no one bothered to write very good drivers for their video cards. For example My laptop is an IBM 166mhz 72mb Ram and 1mb Video Ram capable of High Color and mpegs were slow and looked shitty on NT 3.51, while on a Windows 3.1 or 95 system they ran great. I would recommend at least 2mb of video memory in order for things to run smooth. Also VCD's and and DAT files will not work even though some of the following programs (nt versions inlcluded) claim that they do. If anyone can get a VCD to work under NT 3.51 let us know.

Programs Compatible

-------------------------------------------

Adobe Premiere 4.2

This is commercial software that is compatible with NT 3.51. This might be the only hope for watching VCD's in NT 3.51 since it is independent from Media Player. You will have to install LSX Mpeg or Panasonic Mpeg Plugin to even attempt it. I do not own this program but would like to test it

MovieCD Player for NT

I don't know if anyone remmebers these but they used the Motion Pixels AVI codec and actually provided video acceleration under NT 3.51. They still sell AVI movies (i.e.,Dumb and Dumber, Friday) on their website for cheap at www.movicd.com

Microsoft Video for Windows 1.1e

Latest runtimes and codecs for avi files under the Windows Media Player

Microsoft Activemovie 1.0

This is an add on for the Windows Media Player that plays Mpeg 1.0 (.mpg) and Quicktime (.mov) You will need the updated OLEPRO32.dll and MSVCRT40.dll for it to work. Incorporates into Media Player

Net Toob for NT 3.51

This is a video viewer for NT that is capable of viewing avi, mpeg, mov etc. Also support for old streaming. Includes Internet plugins.

Xing Player 1.3

Another mpeg viewer. I have never had good luck with this program in NT 3.51 although it does work but some might. Integrates into WMP

Softpeg Video Suite for NT

A better video viewer than most. Also can integrates in WMP

Winplay Mp3 Player 32bit

Great Mp3 player for NT 3.51 make sure to use Winplay Shell so you can use playlists

Winplay Shell 1.4

used in conjunction with Winplay. Check out the Readme for all the cool features

Woldo's MCI Media Player

The documentation is in German but it says that it works with NT 3.51. It installs fine but when lauched it says "searching for MCI device" and then grey's out. Give it a shot

Real Player 5

16bit version that works without a hitch on NT 3.51. Problem is that it is way outdated.

Quicktime 2.12

16bit version works fine in NT 3.51. Also way outdated

There is supposed to be a 32bit version of Quicktime that works with NT 3.51 but I can't find it. You can also find 32bit Installable codecs for Cinepak AVI, Intel Indeo, and a MCI Laserdisc Drivers.

The best video cards fo NT 3.51 are the ones that have drivers that accelerate the video and provide OpenGL support. The two best ones are

ATI Xpert Pro 98 PCI and AGP

Leadtek WinFast 3D L2500 PCI

Both are 8MB and have drivers and software that are written specifically for NT 3.51.

If you are looking for a digital camera to work with NT 3.51

The Samsung Digimax 800 comes with compatible serial port drivers to connect the camera and Photo Software that is also NT 3.51. One of the only digital cameras I know that comes with NT 3.51 drivers

Can I ask why yer friend doesn't just buy a cheap Pentium or P2 box? I can look in my "mountain" of parts and probably put something together for like $50 that will at least run 98 or NT4....

What was the last version of WinZip that would run on NT 3.51? Was it 6.0??

P.S.=> I love the lists you're putting out though, they're even put out by version which is WICKED cool... I am going to do a search term (how I index special posts here in fact for searches):

===========================

Thanks, I got in the OS about 6 months ago and have been trying to find all the compatible programs there are. This is VERY LITTLE info on the internet about this OS and even fewer programs. The 2 reasons to still use it are that a) it is an extremely stable OS and B) You can have a true 32bit OS running extremely fast an old hardware desktop, (or laptop which is what I use it on)

The last version of Winzip that works is Winzip 7.0, although I recommend Winzip 6.3 because it has support for High Color and looks a lot better.