Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bkucher

RAID 1 BOOT PROBLEM

We have a RAID 1 (MIRROR) using the INTEL SE7505VB2 motherboard and INTEL software SATARaid 1.0.0.19 on the Boot Device of our server running Windows 2000 Service Pack 4. While doing internal maintainence, the power cable to SATA Drive 0 came out. When the machine rebooted, the machine would NOT reboot and said their was no operating system found.

After replacing the power cable, the machine did boot, but the raid software immediately rebuilt the data on Drive 0 with the data on Drive 1.

I am now afraid that after the rebuild, the machine copied over the non bootable partition from Drive 1 over the bootable partition on Drive 0 and the server will NOT boot when necessary.

Is this true? Also, how would I make the non bootable drive, a bootable drive, if necessary.

If I'm reading this correctly, you're using RAID1 (mirroring).

Once you initially configured the mirrored set, it should have copied all of the data (and boot info) from drive0 to drive1. From then on, every single change would be "mirrored" to drive1.

Now that drive0 was rebuilt from drive1, it should work just fine, provided the RAID card was performing it's job properly.

If not, you may try to use Win2K with slipstreamed SP4 boot CD to repair installation.

You could also boot to recovery console and try fixmbr and fixboot commands if it doesn't boot properly.