Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kapleau

RedHat 7.2 and Asus A7N8X Deluxe

hey everyone,

i'm pretty new to linux and i'm trying to install RedHat 7.2 on the Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo. i've run Linux (Suse 6.2) and i wasn't able to play with it much before my hard drive crashed.

At any rate, i'm in an OS class and i need to set up an Apache web server with RedHat7.2. When i run the install it quickly displays an entire page of text and then just freezes.

i'm running winXP Pro an my primary and am trying to install Linux on the secondary drive. i don't have the time or $ to pull out the drive and throw it into a new system. any thoughts?

this is what's displayed right before it halts the installation:

PCI_IDE: Unknown IDE controller

PCI_IDE: chipset revision 162

PCI_IDE: not 100% native mode, will probe irq's later

i've downloaded the latest rpm's from nVidia but haven't had a chance to install them since Linux won't install.

is there a command i can enter so it won't autodetect at install? if so, does this make detecting the hardware later more difficult?

i've got RedHat 7.2 Unleashed (SAMS Publishing) but can't find any help on installation issues.

my guess is that since the nforce2 is so new and they have their own strange idea of chipset, that redhat 7.2, which is roughly 2 years old already, wouldn't even know what to do with them....

You mention you're using the RPMs, have you tried compiling the source tarballs instead? There might be some wierd voodoo going on between RH7.2s default 2.4.7-10 (thats a beta kernel, right?) and the precompiled drivers. I also noticed that nVidia only have RPMs for Red Hat 7.3 and 8.0. I know from experience that installing RPMs meant for different versions of Red Hat is a mine field, even when theres only one minor versions difference between them, and I personally wouldn't recommend it.

i just installed red hat 8 and most things are working fine. i have to figure out how to install rpm's now. nVidia has some preconfigured but they also offer downloads for other versions that appparently are recompiled when you execute the them. then i have to figure out how to iset up my connection to the internet. the fun never ends!

hey there,

i got the system running! i can even get on the internet through the network AND i finally have sound (the first install didn't go so well and the sound never worked under the GNOME environment - this time i'm running under KDE and the sound works fine).

Thanks for your help.

kapleau,

I have been having the same problem.

Been using Redhat 8.0 on an older system for a little while with no problems.

I can install it successfully on the new system with the Asus A7N8X, but like you could not get it to recognize either of the on board LAN ports or the sound device.

Would you mind letting me know how you got yours working?

Explicitly if possible?

Thanks

how did i get the stuff working?

i have two hard drives in my system, winXP on one, linux on the other, so i stillhad internet access through the winXP logon. i downloaded the binary rpm's from the nvidia website (NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248.rh80up_2.4.18_14.athlon.rpm), put the rpm on a floppy and rebooted the system in linux.

i mounted the floppy drive (/mnt/floppy) and then dragged the rpm into my /home directory (the folder labeled home).

i was playing around with right-clicking and it opened a menu, similar to the one in Windows. it had something like open with...and a submenu that had install as an option. i clicked on the install option and it extracted the binary file.

each time you reboot, linux looks for new hardware. it identified my nvidia ethernet port and my sound and asked if i would like to configure them. i siad yes and when prompted for the info on my ethernet connection i set it to find the info automatically (the first option, you can select it by clicking in the checkbox with the mouse and pressing the spacebar, i believe). it identifies the ethernet connection as a generic connection - same with the sound.

i've only tried the sound using the kde environment (since reinstaling). the first time i installed Linux, i only installed the GNOME interface, and it didn't work in GNOME. i suppose i should try it in GNOME again, but i prefer KDE because it automatically mounts my floppy and dvd drive.

i hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply.

I did get it working with the nvidia driver

i was trying to get the 3com port to work unsuccessfully

then once i did get it working i went and upgraded the kernel ;(

that was a mistake

after upgrading, the system no longer recognized eth0

so i restarted again

I am sure there is a better way to do this, but as I am new to Linux it is helping me learn.

Anyway....

Thanks for the help

OK,

I have gone around and around with this. I have installed RedHat 8.0, and gotten the rpm from nVIDIA that goes with the build. The NIC works. The sound card is not working however (as best as I can tell). I can not get the "system Settings"-"Soundcard Detection" to work under GNOME or KDE. If I go into the "Control Center" to the Sound Server, it will play the test sound on occasion. Sometimes I would have to reset the server and it will work. NOTHING else does though.

HELP!!!!

J the frustrated nOOb