Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dizarludba

Processor/CPU Upgrade

Hi ,

I just wonder , do we have to reinstall the windows ( Windows XP ) when upgrading CPU/Processor ?? I just asking since one of my friend told me that windows license is per unit processor , once a person change the CPU , the person have to reinstall windows ? Is it true ? Sorry for this silly question . I just plan to upgrade processor myself .Thank you .

So far I didn't have to reinstall windows when changing a cpu so I doubt that you will have to.

you are allowed 'X' times to make changes within a set time frame (I think it is 6 months but not sure about this) in your PC after that you simply have to reactivate your Windows XP. Now before SP1 this was a pain but after SP1 and SP2 it has been streamlined. I did this completly over the internet without calling to get my new key.

If you get a P4 with HT support, fisrt check for new Bios from your MB maker and make sure your MB supports this as well. I just upgraded from P4 to a P4 with HT and windows just installed a special feature and then i had to reboot and that was it, it does not count as two CPU's.