Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

Specify alternate source path for XP boot floppies?

Got myself in a bit of a fix...

I was trying to create an entry on my bootloader menu to run XP setup from in case I needed to use the repair option (as the XP CD I use came from the university's IT and support unit, and once I installed, I had to return it).

I thought I'd give it a test run and try the repair option. Now usually when you ask setup to repair installations it's will prompt you on which areas you would like to repair... (registry, files, boot sector etc), however for reasons beyond my comprehesion this time round it didn't! And thus proceeded to overwrite my perfectly set up installation. Before it got to the registry repair phase I hit reset, loaded the recovery console, backed up the registry and attempted to re-run setup. Nothing... just hangs. No problem I'll try with those handy boot floppies I made, as I have a install cache for the XP files on my HD. No luck, as those only support access from the original XP CD. I'm really stuck atm. I can't use XP Home, NT4, or NTFS DOS to access my disks becuase they are dynamic ones!

Is there any why I can edit the .sif file on the boot floppy to point to the install files on my HD instead of prompting me for the CD-ROM? Or will I have to get it from IT support again?

Ah this will teach me... at least I have all my stuff backed up if the worst comes to the worst!