Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bearcat

Disk Druid

Alright, I'm trying to install redhat linux 9.0 on my system. (I know it's about to expire..) Anyway, I need to keep windows on it too for some apps that I can't afford loosing. So, this is where the disk druid comes in. Or where I need help. Could someone tell me what I need to do to keep windows xp but install redhat on a seperate partision? I have no clue what to do with that part of the installation. I'm not expirenced with linux so bear with me. Thanks in advance. smile

The best way I found is to use Partition Magic ( a very good Windows partitioning tool) to create an unused portion at the end of the HD. You do this by shrinking up your Windows partition. Partition Magic is pretty common, but does cost. Maybe you have a friend who can let you try theirs out, and if you like it you can consider purchasing it. wink

Once you've created this empty space, start the RH 9 install and tell it you want to partiton your HD manually. Then you can create a / partition, a /home partition and a swap partition there. It's really not very hard, but make sure you double check everything thoroughly before committing to anything! Luckily, RH 9 comes with an easy escape if you need to try things over again. The only way you are going to be able to proceed with confidence though is if you back up all your valuable XP data to cd before starting, which you should do in all such instances anyway. Then, if you screw it up, it won't matter so much. smile

Be sure to format your / and your /home partitions with ext3 and NOT ext2! If you go with ext2 you'll wait for all eternity plus 20 years for it to check your disk, should you have to shut down improperly. Ext3 is journalized, and will tell itself where it needs to be when rebooting, saving you a lot of time (and hair) in the process. wink

Just as information to you, I've used RH9 and Fedora Core1, and Core1 beats the pants off RH9 in just about every way..