Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marker0077

Auto-Login with Win2k DataCenter Server

There is no "Users & Passwords" type option in the Control Panel with Win2k DataCenter Server & it makes it come to this screen where I have to hit CTRL+ALT+DEL before I even login - I don't want to deal with any of that. The server normally doesn't even have a monitor hooked up to it, I want to be able to turn the thing on & that's it - everyone can get to the servers resources.

Any suggestions?

Actually, I would like to have the thing login, then lock the computer; This way no one can do aything from the server itself. Now I already know how to get the "Lock WorkStation" to appear on startup, I do not know how to get the DataCenter Server OS to auto-login.

Thanks for your time people.

@Four and Twenty: That's or workstation OS's, this is a server OS. Even if you use that the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen is still there. Thanks anyways though.

@Tomay: I don't want to convert it over to a workstation, however, it does show how to disable that annoying CTRL+ALT+DEL prompt which is what I am looking to accomplish. Thanks.

Alright folks, I used tweakui & disabled the CTR+ALT+DEL screen & viola, no more hassle. Now all I have to do is load "Lock WorkStation" on startup & it's finished, thanks folks.

Originally posted by marker0077:

@Tomay: I don't want to convert it over to a workstation, however, it does show how to disable that annoying CTRL+ALT+DEL prompt which is what I am looking to accomplish. Thanks.

I forgot to tell you that of course you can use only a part of that guide.

ok, here's the answer you're looking for.....

there are 4 registry "strings" you've got to create/modify if you want to force windows 2000 server to log in automatically (i.e. save login/pass and go right to the desktop when you power up)

located at the following address in regedit

-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

-SOFTWARE

-Microsoft

-Windows NT

-CurrentVersion

-Winlogon

you need to find the following strings and ensure that they are as follows:

String Name: AutoAdminLogon

Type: (REG_SZ)

Value: 1

(this sets the autologin to take effect, note, I had to create this on my machine, it's not typically in the win2K server registry)

String Name: DefaultUserName

Value: <whatever your default username is to be set as>

(this already existed for me, in my case it was the only account that wasn't "Administrator" but it may be different for you)

String Name: DefaultPassword

Value: <password for default account>

(if your password is blank you do NOT need this line, it will automatically delete itself if you create it with no password)

String Name: ForceAutoLogon

Value: 1

(what this does is keep the auto-logon enabled rather than letting it disable itself after every time it logs in automatically forcing you to go back into the registry and change the autoadminlogon value to 1 again)

NOW, if by chance this machine is also a member of an NT domain, you'll need to add the following line

String Name: DefaultDomainName

Value: <name of default domain which computer needs to log into>

that should fix your problem, it's done exactly what I needed it to do and that's set the machine up so that it automatically logs in under a specific user so that I can remotely restart the machine if need be and it'll automatically go back in with all of the "auto-start" software running as soon as I try to get back into it, now bear in mind, if that's something you're needing to do, you'll want to time the "reboot/login/accessible" process so that you know how long it'll take before you need to worry about whether something messed up or not.....

Quote:
Auto-Login

Quote:
Win2k DataCenter Server

...both together in a sentence like that.

::shudder::

For the amount of $$ needed to get Datacenter and the amount of $$ spent on whatever app it is that is running on the box, I would have the vendor of the app make it work as a service.