Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Barboy06

GPEDIT HELL!!!

I used to do things easily with poledit but now I can't achieve it with gpedit.

What I want: I have users. About 400 hundreds of them. They belong to different groups. Each group should get their own desktop and startup menu but each user should also have his own home directory, using windowsXP(pro) workstations.

I have no problem setting the home directory for every user. Where it hurts is that (and I might be wrong) I cannot edit group policies in gpedit.msc. There are certain options available like: (sorry for the rough translation...) computer configuration & users configuration. Nowhere does it mention group configuration. In poledit we had policies for users AND groups. Also, from what I can see, the only possible redirection of the profile is to the homedirectory (which is not what I want since I want a profile (desktop, startup menu and so on) per group instead of a profile per user.

Thanks in advance.

-One desperate cookie.

gpedit refers to Group Policy edit. From what you are saying it seems you are not using 'Active Directory' (correct me if I am wrong).

This link will explain procedures better than I ever could.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/management/groupsteps.asp

You seem to be running gpedit locally on a machine, therefore assigning settings locally.

HTH

Yakkob

Thanks a bunch for the link, I'll read it carefully but from what I understand, I cannot set group policies from a local machine (as we could in poledit). The thing is that I would have liked not to use active directory to do this since I'm trying to use (sorry for the cursed word) Linux as a server.

Thanks again mate.

Samba on linux now can emulate a windows active directory. However I have never used it and know not if it can set group policy.

Gotta praise microsoft for their ingenuity. they want you to buy 400 Cal's.