Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ofelas

Win 98 TCP/IP problems...please Help!

Friend of mine is having a problem with the TCP/IP stack on his Win 98SE system...uninstalling & reinstalling the TCP/IP protocol did not solve the problem...he has absolutely no connection to the internet at all...he runs DHCP on cable internet...the problem surfaced all of a sudden.

The error messages are -

TCP/IP not installed

Winsock error

Network transport error

Short of reinstalling Win 98, any command line hints/fixes?

He has to run Win 98 for some reason...

Thanks in advance.

I would just re-install Windows from the cab files.

It's not the best solution , but it's worked for me numerous times.

Hi, how does one reinstall 98 from the CAB files?

He also have the Win 98SE CD handy, if that's possible to use to reinstall WITHOUT losing his existing programs/settings/e-mail.

Thanks - he (and I) have no idea how to back up/export e-mail from Lotus Notes 5.05...LOL...

You can also try uninstalling the network card. Once I had to physically remove the card, reboot the machine so it would detect that the card was actually gone, then shutdown and reinstall the card (preferably in another slot).

For some reason this forced the computer to actually reload the TCP/IP files.

This is an integrated (LOM) card on a Sony laptop...it doesn't have an option to disable the card in the BIOS either... ;(

hai ,

i dont know wether this may work

system properties remove the device and reboot and the system will detect the device and ask for the drivers and reinstall it it is same as unplugging the network card out and placing it back in.make sure u have drivers before doing so

Can he pull an IP address, it didn't sound like he could, but if he can, then go to another machine and download winsockfix from here (you will have to have winzip or another zip program).

If all the above does not work, then make a startup disk for windows 98 in the control panel, under add and remove programs. Once the floppy is complete, restart the computer with the windows 98 cd in the drive. If it is set to boot from floppy, it will use the floppy diskette. If it is set to boot from cd, it will prompt you to either boot from harddrive, or boot from CD. Choose CD.

Either way, the next question will ask if you want to boot with CDrom support. Choose to. Once it boots up to an A:\ prompt, then start looking for which drive letter contains the 98 CD. This could be D:\, E:\, F:\, etc, depending on how many drives your laptop has.

Once you find the 98 CD, type cd win98 then hit enter. Type in SETUP then hit enter. You will want to follow the prompts through the setup program until you come to a prompt that asks if you want to install to c:\windows.000 or something similar. Make sure to backspace it down to c:\windows, and then continue. The next thing to watch for is the 'save system files' prompt. Choose yes, and it will save his data. Walk through the rest of the install.

Let me know if that helps.

Why exactly is this post on "Latest Threads" when the fellow who had the original request stopped responding in March of last year?