Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
stefanolab

RAID kill penguin?

anyone knows how to resolve problem among RedHat 7.2 and RAID controller on Soyo P4X400 Ultra Dragon motherboard?

original RedHat installation cd can't start installation on my server ("kernel panic: attempted to kill init" error message is showned at start process).

so I tried with a redHat 8.0 boot floppy (only to boot initrd), then my RedHat 7.2 cd start installation.

I have many problems with hd (2x60GB Matrox) partitioning, cause filesystem formatting process can't finish (I give it an entirely night!)!

I tried also with RAID driver (with "linux dd noprobe" kernel option)..

who can help me? :x

Quote:
anyone knows how to resolve problem among RedHat 7.2 and RAID controller on Soyo P4X400 Ultra Dragon motherboard?

original RedHat installation cd can't start installation on my server ("kernel panic: attempted to kill init" error message is showned at start process).
so I tried with a redHat 8.0 boot floppy (only to boot initrd), then my RedHat 7.2 cd start installation.
I have many problems with hd (2x60GB Matrox) partitioning, cause filesystem formatting process can't finish (I give it an entirely night!)!
I tried also with RAID driver (with "linux dd noprobe" kernel option)..

who can help me? :x

Read what I wrote about an Epok 9HKA-2. If I am not mistakeny your motherboard has the HPT372 chipset in it and there is no support for it yet. There are ways to be able to install LInux on a machine such as yours, see above thread, but it takes a bi tof work.

I did it in the following manner. Remove power to the drives connected to the HPT controllers, install Linux on a different drive and then you will have to fix box Lilo and your fstab as it will point to the wrong mount points once you connect the HPT372 drives. YOu will then be able to bot into Linux without the kernel panic, but not use the drives. High-point doesn't make suitable drives available for Linux and that, my friend, is the root of the problem.

Otherwise, you might want to wait or even try one of the Mandrake Linux or Redhat's betas to see if this issue has been resolved.

I have an HPT-370 integrated controller in my motherboard and really wish I had gone for a motherboard without one and a 3ware Raid card.

Best of luck

I found my solution!

just uninstalling HDs on RAID controller and using EIDE!

laugh

ok, this is not the right choice, but faster one..

thnx lot..