Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
marcus2704

MS Exchange Question

Ive set up a home network for testing and generally learning about network installation/administration. I have a question about Exchange 2k3.

I currently use software called PopconAdmin which sits in front of my Exchange server and talks to my internet host to retrieve my emails. Whilst this works fine for now, Id really like to be able to do this without any 3rd party software, and wondered if anyone can give me some advice as I presume this is something which is possible.

Thanks in advance

Why haven't you set up your DNS zone with an MX record to forward your mail straight in to your Exchange? Or are you on a dynamic IP?

Im stuck with a dynamic IP (BT Broadband). I dont know how long their IP leases last for, it might change enough to be a problem. Can you tell me more about the MX record though, as im interested to know more about this?

The MX record is part of the DNS that specifically points to your mail server. You can't set it up if you're server is sitting on a dynamically allocated IP address, unfortunately.

I presume you're using POPcon to pick up mail from your ISPs POP3 servers. Unfortunately, Exchange doesn't come with POP3 connectors, because it expects other mail servers to connect to it directly using the MX record.

I think BT do offer ADSL with a fixed IP address, but I don't know how much they charge for it.

Rgds

AndyF

Its probably not very rellevant, but Win2k / 2k3 SBS has built in POP3 functionality.

There is one way to get rid of your 3rd party app and work with a DHCP Address.

There is a website out there called ENOM.com that allows you to create a DCHP MX record. You load a DYN client on to your server which reports your address back to ENOM then they update your MX record just like A Records.

I have my server (Exchange 2003) working in this fashion.

Hope that helps,

Zeroinfin