Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ace

VPN Disconnection

Hey,

I've been having trouble keeping a connection with VPN. My parents want to work from home and they have to set up a VPN. It connects perfectly, and they use Radmin as a Remote Adminstrator server which allows them to view their other computer. Anyways, after about 3-5 mins the VPN connection is dropped. Then they would have to reconnect the VPN but the same result happens.

I have Windows XP Pro running along with a high speed connection. What could the problem be?

Thanks

Well we have also seen this at work, are you using the built in VPN client in XP or Windows 2000?

It also could be your ISP, some isp's like Comcast state if you are going to use VPN you need to upgrade to there pro service.

We use the Nortel client and had to upgrade to 4.65 to fix this issue, look into upgrading your software to the latest version.

We have also found that if a pc goes into sleep mode while connected it will disconnect, maybe the remote pc is hybernating.

Hope this helps.

Also, if your broadband service is contention-based, your client may lose sync with the server (and therefore lose its token to operate) and get dropped. Contention-based systems are those where the ISP rotates out the bandwidth amongst the subscribers. The biggest offenders of this are dish/satellite and wireless connection systems. These modes of delivery are very good for typical consumer use, but fail miserably on connections requiring constant attention, such as VPNs and remote control setups like PCAnywhere. Oddly enough, those tend to work better on dial-up connections because of the dedicated bandwidth (in this case, "dedicated" means that the connection is always there, rather than being put on "pause" in a round-robin distribution like the other services mentioned). Just a possibility.

Uhh, I'm using Windows XP to create a VPN connection and connect to a Windows 2000 computer. By using Radmin, I am able to see the screen of the computer at work.

I really don't think it's my ISP because there are no upgrades and it is always on. There's no pauses what so ever. Also I don't put my computer in sleep mode or anything. This happens while my parents are working on the VPN. ONce connected and they are browsing the work computer, it disconnects.

Any other ideas?