Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bluedha

need help! strange problem in winxp network

Okay, I have four WinXP computers hooked up through a 5-port hub.

The problem is that one computer (computer A) refuses to receive another computer (computer B)'s shared files.

I can see the shared files fine, but if I tried to copy some files from computer B to A, the copy process hangs for some time then I get "Cannot copy: The specified network name is no longer available" error message.

Computer B can receive files from computer A.

Other computers can send/received files from both A and B, and A and B both can send/receive files from all other computers on the network.

So I know it's not a hardware issue.

These two are fresh installs, but have been updated fully.

I just cannot figure this out.

What is the problem here?

sorry.

can the moderator please move this thread to windows xp networking?

thank you.

I am running into the exact same problem with my network.

I have 3 computers, all running XP SP1, Linksys router and a cable modem. My personal computer seems to be the troublemaker, the connection works fine until you try and copy more than about 200 megs to or from it. It hangs and eventually gives you the network reasource unavailable message. After that, the only way to get the connection back is to restart it. I have tried the following:

New Cabeling throuought the house,

New Router,

New NIC,

Remove/Reinstall all Windows networking services.

Virus scan

Nothing seems to make a difference. Shortly before this problem appeared I was moving some hard drives between computers, however I tried pulling out all the new ones I put in and I still get the problem. Let me know if you fund any info on this.

What a strange problem. Make sure all the computers are running the exact same revision of OS (eg, all XP sp1) and that the File Sharing Service is enabled (i know that XP home is usually disabled by default). It really sounds like a firewall/rights problem to me though. Check IP's, workgroups/domains and any other crap like that. I find that if i fiddle around a bit, things usually work out.

Hiyas,

I'm not getting this exact same error between to XP SP1 machines. Has anyone ever found a work around to this problem?