Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyS

Weird problem with Audigy 2 card.

Hi, all.

I'm having an odd problem with an SB Audigy 2 (OEM) sound card in a TUV4X mobo (Via chipset). Most of the time the system is playing sounds, there is a loud pop every 31 seconds coming from the card.

I have tried an older Audigy card and the same problem happens, and I have tried an SB Live! Value card, and the problem does NOT happen.

The sound comes and goes and it doesn't appear to correlate with any other hardware, but when the pops happen they are 31 seconds apart. I have installed the latest drivers from Creative Labs, and that seems to have stopped the popping when using Media Player to play music, but the popping still happens when playing .wav files or playing sounds in games.

Anyne have any idea what could be causing the popping sounds exactly 31 seconds apart????

System

P-III 1GHz. 896MB RAM

ASUS TUV4X motherboard, BIOS #1005

nVidia GeForce2 MX Pro

Windows XP Pro with all patches to date.

Latest VIA 4in1 version 4.51 drivers installed.

System hard disk is ATA100, and there is a SCSI card installed for tape backup as well.

First thing I would try is a different Audigy card. That seems the only thing you havn't tried yet.

Hi, there.

I did try swapping the Audigy 2 OEM with an original Audigy OEM card and I still had the problem. Only when I swapped in an older SB Live! Value card did the popping go away. If the sound from the Audigy wasn't SO much better I'd just use the old SBLive but I'm hooked on that great sound now!

I also swapped out the power supply and hard drive with no change.

I wonder if there is some process running somewhere that does something to the hardware every 31 seconds. That would be a useful clue to where the problem is coming from.

Any ideas?

JS

Thanks for the reply.

Which drivers are you referring to? All I find on the Creative Labs site are the EAX 4.0 drivers from Nov. 2003. All I can find on the VIA site are the 4in1 drivers version 4.51 from December 2003. So I don't see anything new in the last couple of weeks. And my BIOS is at the latest rev according to the ASUS site.

Can you please post more info, and a link if possible?

JS

Hi I have the same problem checking on it with creative. Mine is the same Audigy 2 OEM.......Best of luck!!!!!

Dunno just tried a driver from driverguide.com. Register and download the driver for free. I have two. I am testing this driver to see if it fixes the problem.

I just found my OEM driver CD that came with the card. If you need it I can send you a copy over msn or yahoo. This one is a model 0240.

It's a know via problem with Creative cards

Since you have an older chipset, I would try the newest bios for your board, then newest 4 in 1 drivers, then creative drivers

Quote:
It's a know via problem with Creative cards

Since you have an older chipset, I would try the newest bios for your board, then newest 4 in 1 drivers, then creative drivers

HOLY CRAP!!!

Who could think of that!!! You know what!! i'll stick to my Intel Chipset P4's! thank god i didn't have that kind of problems with my AMD system after fixing all those power and heating promlems, otherwise i would have canned a brand new system for sure!!! laugh

I had the same problem with an Audigy 2 on a Asus motherboard (Alienware computer). You have to move the card to a PCI slot far away from the other cards.

Originally posted by JohnnyS:

Quote:
Hi, all.

I'm having an odd problem with an SB Audigy 2 (OEM) sound card in a TUV4X mobo (Via chipset). Most of the time the system is playing sounds, there is a loud pop every 31 seconds coming from the card.

I have tried an older Audigy card and the same problem happens, and I have tried an SB Live! Value card, and the problem does NOT happen.

The sound comes and goes and it doesn't appear to correlate with any other hardware, but when the pops happen they are 31 seconds apart. I have installed the latest drivers from Creative Labs, and that seems to have stopped the popping when using Media Player to play music, but the popping still happens when playing .wav files or playing sounds in games.

Anyne have any idea what could be causing the popping sounds exactly 31 seconds apart????

System

P-III 1GHz. 896MB RAM

ASUS TUV4X motherboard, BIOS #1005

nVidia GeForce2 MX Pro

Windows XP Pro with all patches to date.

Latest VIA 4in1 version 4.51 drivers installed.

System hard disk is ATA100, and there is a SCSI card installed for tape backup as well.

I had the same problem, the lates drivers (there's one on creatives site; web update something...) it fixed it form most things (it actually says it fixes the popping in its description).