Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
snapwolfe

help! loaded 9x driver on 2000

i recently built a computer and installed win 2000. yesterday, i went to attach my old astra umax scanner and installed the old driver disk from it. the installation went smooth, but since the reboot it has been going wild. the os boots and then the power shuts off just as it finishes and reaches the desktop. ive tried to go with the last good config, but there was no change. the pc will work in safe mode. from there i have erased the programs (there was no uninstall option) and went into regedit to cut out all the offensive files....still to no avail. could some one please help me get off this roller coaster of boot, fail, ect...

cheers-

eric

Look for a folder called twain or twain32 and delete the scanner files if the're in there. (works for win9x dunno bout 2k)

Boot from win2k cd and repair the installation.

Try this driver 360v400.exe

I have an older umax 300P scanner and the driver that came with it was a 98 only driver. I spent several weeks looking for a 2000 driver for it. Then I found out that it was an Astra scanner. This driver will pop up an error box but if you hit OK it will load and work.

Here is a URL at driverguide.com to get the file. Hope it works for your scanner

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=16789

Go to the reciovery console (boot off the cd choose repair, console)

Type listsvc press enter

this will list all the enabed drivers and services

find the one you need to kill (hopefully the name will make sense to you, something like umaxblahblah

Type disable umaxblahblah for each one you think is rerlated to the scanner

also disable the scanning service whatever its called, scanning imaging or whatever.

then boot windows

Boot windows and see if you can uninstall the driver then. If you cant reenable the scanner service in windows and hope that you are fixed.

Another option is to restore your original registry. (it will be from when you installed and most of your software will break)

in windows\repair

from revocery console copy this files called default, sam, security, software, system, (no extensions) and copy it to \windows\system32\config