Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jwl812

XP Pro Re-installation Problem

I just purchased a new Desktop for work, a Gateway with XP Pro pre-installed with all the "bells and whistles" that typically clutter up a new OEM PC. I decided to nix the entire system, and re-install just the XP Pro OS which was supplied with the PC believe it or not on CD, and then tweak it to my taste. The re-install completed without a hitch, but now I get an annoying "windows activation" dialog box that keeps popping up. I click on it and try and activate it but get "windows is already activated" and the box goes away, until the next time I reboot. This *%$@ box keeps coming back, and when I click on it, it tells me windows is already activated. Anyone know what is going on? I even wiped it again and tried to reinstall it, the dialog still comes back.

Thanks in advance.

jwl812

It sounds like the component normally present in the default software (image or restore CD) which Gateway provides with the machine, is not present when you load XP Pro from scratch. The component I am referring to relates somehow to activation. Unfortunately this is part of the problem when you purchase from companies like Dell, Gateway, etc. This is how they restrict or lock you in. Pretty much the same thing goes for their hardware. In many cases you are required to replace failed hardware with their hardware due to their non-standard or proprietary designs.

Have you made any changes to the hardware? If not, I would contact Gateway or even Microsoft to see if they might be able to help. Gateway might give you a hard time because you didn't use their restore CD however but who knows; you might get lucky.

Good Luck.

fast586

Thanks for the info Fast586, I first suspected a sabotaged OS CD so I contacted M$ and of course they referred me to Gateway without any hesitation and actually would not provide any support, they said I must contact Gateway. Gateway assured me the CD was just a relabled M$ disk and it should be identical. They further did state I should use the Restore disks and that the system hardware might not be fully supported if i installed just the OS. I got such the runaround i am thinking about sending the PC back. My question to the rep was, why include the OS cd at all if they recommend me not use it. She was perplexed.