Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SuperChicken

IIS 5+ won't respont to "localhost" or 127.0.0.1..

Hello all.

I've been working on setting up some software on my IIS machine, and when I type in the FQDN (www.iwc-solutions.com) or the machine name "iwcserver", it responds with the root page.

But, when I type in "localhost" or the loopback IP (127.0.0.1), I get a 404 error.

Any HOSTS file I need to edit or some IIS setting I've missed?

It's possible your web pages are set for the specific IP address associated with that FQDN.

In IIS 4 for example (which I don't have in front of me at this exact moment.. sorry...) I can set a website to respond to a specific IP or Any IP. In the MMC right click on Default Website for example and select properties. In the Web Site tab in the Web Site Identification section you should find an IP assignment option. Make sure it is set to All Unassigned.

That should do it.

Keep in mind the instructions I've included here are for IIS 4. Hopefully it hasn't changed much in IIS 5.

Hope this helps.

Also, if you are using Host Headers, make sure that no other site (started or stopped) is hosting "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" in the name box. You can add those names to the host header options for the site you are setting up, and it should work properly afterward. Once you start using host headers, you pretty much have to stick with it to resolve every possible hostname (NetBIOS, FQDN, or otherwise) in order to get them to work.

Did you REALLY get a 404?

Or are you being generic?

a 404 means the webserver is responding....... and if it responds it should give you the default document.......

So was it a 404, or a nbasic "page cannot be displayed"?