Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marker0077

Do I have to set the clockspeed?

I have a processor chip that I am pretty sure is a 200 mhz but the chip that was on there was a 166 mhz. Now when it boots up, it says it's a 166 mhz still. I also swapped out another chip on another board & the same thing happens.

I have gone through 3 different manuals for 3 different motherboards, I don't find "setting the clockspeed" anywhere, nor do I find it in CMOS (at least not in a changeable field).

Am I supposed to change the clockspeed somewhere when I install a faster chip?

Read the maual wink

The clock speed and the multiplier are usualy controlled by jumpers on the motherboard. (I think QDI has made a jumperless socket7 board)

If you don't have the manual you can usualy download it from the manufacturer.

Post back if you need further help.

The problem is 3 of these boards don't have manuals online. 1 is a Packard Bell & the other 2 are from a mom & pop shop - no brand name. I've tried searching for it on the net & came up with nothing.

I think I have the PB board figured out, they did a pretty good job of explaining things right on the board but I'm not 100% sure on the 2 Award Software boards.

You can find out the manufacturer from the bios id.

There is a good page www.wimsbios.com look under bios numbers.

or just put the bios id string into google.

Tried that, no luck. The Packard Bell uses AMIBIOS & there's no ID at the bottom left like the screenie indicates, just a BIOS version.

As for the other boards, I have not een able to get to it as of yet. 1 thing at a time.