Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
clutch

List of Linux Live CDs

I got this from DotNetJunkies, and it's pretty cool.

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

It's a list of all current distros providing Live CDs. So, what's a "Live CD"? Well, typically running this disk at boot lets you run whatever distro on it without having to install it. It's very cool for:

1. Introduces newbies to Linux, without having to sacrifice a currnet installation to do so

2. Lets you repair systems that are currently running Linux (or even other OSs, depending on the distro and kernel options/modules used) while within a Linux OS (including chroot, for the most part)

3. Looking cool around your friends because you are 1337 and running Linux on your machine, even if it isn't installed

What is really cool about the Gentoo disk, is that the basic installer would let you run an SSH server from the CD's kernel. This enables you to install Gentoo on a system over the wire. I was able to install a couple of Linux boxes for a LAN party a couple of states away in this manner, and it was very handy. Once I had the kernel compiled and ready to go (with a new SSH server installed and configured to launch at boot), I just had his girlfriend eject the CD before I rebooted it. Once it came back up, I could continue the installation on the fresh, new installation. Very trick.

Just to clarify, if you would like to run Gentoo as a desktop from a Live CD, get the image for Unreal Tournament 2003. It has a demo of UT2003, can accelerate nVidia cards, and runs Fluxbox for a desktop from what I remember. This image is almost a year old though, and that may be a turn off (I thought they were still up[censored] it). The current disks will run Gentoo in a command line interface (CLI) and also lets you install it from any of the three stages available.

I am having problems with Gentoo on my Virtual PC and my PC

My PC has an 875p chipset, which gives older kernals fits, and for some reason it won't boot on my Virtual PC, which emulates the most basic of hardware

So the disk will not boot, or you installed the OS and the installation will not boot? What error(s) are you getting? Gentoo requires more manual installation than most other distros. I still have to burn my ISOs tonight, so I'll check it out later.

Quote:
Nice. Gentoo is my fav. After that is Debian.

I love gentoo. Unfortunately, I do not have broadband so I cannot really get the most out of the portage system.