Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marker0077

Installing Win2k CD on a non CD bootable PC

I have an older computer that doesn't permit booting off of a CD-ROM drive & that's the only way to install Win2k.

Does anyone know of a program that updates the CMOS/BIOS or something that permits booting off of the CD-ROM drive or perhaps a NTFS bootable disk that will install Win2k to a computer of this type?

As alway thanks for your time people.

There are a number of ways to accomplish this:

1) Check your motherboard manufacturers website for the latest BIOS/Firmware updates for you model motherboard. There are some older motherboards that didn't properly support the el Torrito bootable CD's but most manufacturers should have updated and fixed this by now.

2) Use the Microsoft knowledge base article on how to use the install/setup media to create boot/setup floppys.

3) Also look at this Microsoft knowledge base article on how to create a bootable floppy disk for both FAT and NTFS partitions.

Boot to win98 floppy, make a fat32 paritition. Copy smartdrv froma win98 machine or this will caus epain. Copy \i386 to c: from dos, in another pc. (move the hard drive)

then run c:\i386\winnt from dos.

Better quicker faster than using the win2k 4 boot floppy method IMO.

First off, I apologize about the delay but I had other obstacles that got in my way before I could even come back to this (story of my life).

Anyways, I do not want the FAT system on there EVER or AT ALL. I want to totally get rid of it & I don't even want it on there temporarily (I've seen this type of thing cause problems for others in the past).

As for going the BIOS route, I can't find it anywhere. There is a BIOS update on the Intel set that *may* work but I doubt it. If I install the wrong BIOS will that mess up the PC?

As for those MS links, those just tell you how to make bootable floppies, not how to boot a CD from a floppy.

There is a type of software out there called Dynamic Drive Overlay (or DDO for short) & has also been called Disk Manager. I have an older Western Digital hard drive on one of the other computers & it installs this DDO software either on the drive itself or on the PC elsewhere - this software permits booting off of a CD-ROM but I can't find a download for DDO on non western digital hard drives anywhere.

Any suggestions?

Like duhmez said, boot form a win98 startup disc and select to boot with CD-ROM support, then go to the i386 directory and execute the file winnt.exe, and the DOS setup will start. Also use smartdrv.exe to fasten up the process.

During the installation, you can select if you would like to remain with FAT32 partition or to convert it to NTFS.

Good luck[/b]