Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TPJ2988

Unable to turn Computer on?

Well i thought my computer was fine but now i have another problem frown !! When ever i try to start my computer up it truns on for about 2 seconds and then shuts off. I tried leaving it on for a bit and nothing happened it just stayed off and then i kept turning it off and leaving it for a bit and then turning it back on and STILL nothing is happening(except for the 2 seconds of fans going around) it has been left off for the night but that shouldnt have aynthing to do with anyhitng should it?? MY power supply is 500watt so power isnt the problem.

Hello,

Well there are a few things that could cause your issue. The first one could be a bad powersupply. I realize you say it is 500W, but that doesn't mean it hasn't gone bad. I have had top notch powersupplies go bad in a month. Also, since I am unsure of the age of your motherboard, I'll mention that a couple years ago motherboards were susceptable to capacitors leaking which shows that symptom. If you look at the capactors around or near the CPU and where the powersupply connects to the motherboard it is easy to spot. They will either be buldging or leaking, therefore a bad motherboard. Another thing to look at is, did you forget to plug in your CPU fan or accidentally knock the wire off the connector? If you have an AMD CPU it doesn't take much for it to shut down since they get very hot. The last thing is a video card, however, your symptoms probably point to the other 3 issues moreso then a video problem.

Hope this helps,

Jason

Ok well ill try that and get back to you as soon as i try those out and my power supply is from Aspire and less then a week old. Hopefully no that. Also my motherboard is from a Dell optiplex GX260, i know itrs horrible andill be getting a newer one soon. Talk to u later

well none of those seemed to be that problem, there isnt any leak or buldge and i hooked everything back up nice and 'tight' so there isnt a loose connection, any other ideas lol hopefully

Whenever I a wondering if a P/S is bad, I take a couple of old CDROM's or hard drives and plug them into it. I then completly disconnect it from everything else including the wall. On the main connector that was running to the motherboard, take a piece of wire and short pins 14 and 15 (green and the black next to it) and then plug the P/S in and turn on the switch if it has one on it. If it runs fine, chances are it is o.k., if not you have probably found your culprit. If you have a multimeter then you can also easily check voltages.

I just had this exact problem a couple of days ago with a Dell system. On that one it was the power supply... You need to borrow a friends power supply (if you can) to test it for certain!

Well the Motherboard was the problem, got the new ASUS P4P800, nice mohterboard compared to old one smile . Anyway thanks for your input it somewaht helped. ttyl