Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sakirik

Desktop Lockdown

Any idea(s) i can use to lockdown an xp machines desktop...from users changing startmenu, wallpapers..etc. I'm currently taking care of a lab that consist of 30 xp machines and its getting very very tiring standardizing em... Oh and they're all standalones

thank you in advance

I would that think running gpedit.msc (group policy editor) would get you access to the items you need to make those changes...

:x

thanks guys.... i did use gpedit to do some of the things i wanted. For ex. preventing wallpaper and disabling or removing the display icon in control panel. But still when a student saves a pic (whether jpeg or bitmap), lets say from the internet into the pc. He/she can still make it as the background eventhough i disable things under gpedit to prevent such thing from happening. Another question, is there a way to secure icons that i set up on the desktop so they can't be deleted. Or if deleted then would still be there when user logs off and logs in again. I hope i'm making sense and thank you guys very much for helping....

you can set a manadatory profile, where they can change what they want but it won't save from log in to log in.

Rename the ntuser.dat file to ntuser.man

Alright, i tried renaming the ntuser.....i follow some guides i got off xp tweak...about mandatory profile on local machines. Some of the hold backs i got from doing this....is that i got two notification window about logging me in on a temporary profile...it did mention about no changes will occur after log off. Trying to find a way to get rid of the two messages.

Before and and even after i doing this. I can't seem to figure out how to keep my configuration plus home page on IE. Any ideas are greatly appreciated...