Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThC 129

Best Imaging Software - Drive Image or Ghost?

I guess its kind of a moot point come next round of imaging programs since they are both owned by Symantec now.

Anyway Im trying to find out what is better, Ghost or Drive Image 7? I have been a long time user of Drive Image but The Virtual Recovery Environment with 7 just takes FOREVER to load up. I don't want to have to wait 40 minutes to be able to restore an image, if I did then I would just reinstall the OS frown

Anyway which program would you IT pro's recommend for a home product

Drive Image 7 or Ghost 2003?

I have Ghost 2003 and generally like it.

I have however, found though that every image I've created on an external usb cd burner is corrupted. All the ones I've made on an Atapi cdrom have been fine though.

Same computers in both cases, the only difference was the burner used. YMMV

I've primarialy used Drive Image and liked it a lot, however this is going to be moot shortly as Symantec recently purchased Powerquest so I'm guessing that the Ghost and Drive Image technologies will soon be merged together.

Powerquest fan here. I use V2i to manage my lab machines and home systems.

My system's based on Win2K/SP3. I used to have Drive Image 5 and it was very unreliable. What made it worse was that Powerquest wouldn't give any support after the initial qualifying period had expired.

I recently dumped Drive Image and invested in Ghost 2003 instead. God, how things are so much easier now! And no problems. Mind you, I've not put it to the ultimate test yet. I do regular 3GB images to CD-RWs/DVD+RWs and I also image to a reserved partition.

No, for me, Drive Image was a bit of a disaster (but perhaps that was just v5). Ghost seems much better, and faster! Furthermore, being a Symantec product, you get continuous updates to it automatically, through LiveUpdate.

Product support should be a big factor in the choice, in my view.

Both of them work well, but in the end I just perfer Acronis TrueImage to all others...check it out `http://acronis.com/products/trueimage/ (is it ok to post links in this forum?)

By the way, this is my 1st post...

:x

I use Ghost 8.0 to back up all the control systems and have never had a probelm. I use external and internal drives on PC based and/or Linux systems.

Acronis.

Ghost 8 uses Winpe, which perhaps makes it the best Ghost yet but I've found Ghost 8 on WinPE to be kind of flaky.

Ghost 9 is bloated (.NET).

Only reason to use Ghost for me is backwards compatibility with older images.