Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

Explorer window opens on each start

I get a 'explorer' window that opens to 'My Documents' each time I bootup!

I close it, but each time it still opens. I think I remember seeing this long time ago, but surely don't remember where.

I'm running 2k w/sp4 with no auto anything (updates, etc.) or virus scanners and only M$ processes running at startup.

Do you perhaps have a shortcut to My Documents in the Startup folder ?!?

Perhaps in the registry as well ?!?

Nope..........that would be too easy.

No idea on this, never use exployer and never use My Documents either.

The view is the 'MyDocuments' folder that shows 'My Pictures' and some other folder inside.

there is somthing that is defunct in your startup keys. This happens when you have a defunct program in there.

I use Start Right from http://jackass.arsware.org/ this is a good program for managing your startup stuff and it will load them one at a time instead of everything at once like windows does by default.

As much as I don't like or use M$'s programs (other than the O/S) I do use MS Config for startup control of those nasty annoying programs that sneak in there without your knowledge and screw the system up. You know the ones that 90% of computer users have NO idea what's going on!

Anyways, after looking around the partition for other problems I found that there were problems with program locations pointing the other drive where the image was taken from.

I deleted the partition and restored a eariler version and so far it look fine. There were many other issues I noticed and I guess I made a mistake or something happened when I did a disk to disk copy using Drive Image 2002. I usually just image and save the image. Then restore the drive from that image. This time I did a disk to disk copy and it didn't fully work. The drive letters got messed up on the main bootable drive where the image was copied to from the backup drive.

If anyone is wondering wny I do this (that I have been doing for 3 years now) it is for access to the other drive in Windows as oppose to DOS where viruses or other problems prevent me from deleting or changing system files. Makes life alot easier to do it in Windows than at a DOS prompt! Also if the main drive goes down all I have to do is throw the toggle switch on the front panel, shut down and boot into the backup drive.