Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sylvester

SATA - Slow datatransfer ZZZZzzzz

Hi All

Problem

It takes like 20 minutes to copy 400 mb, from partition to partition or from CD to Disk or if you install like a Patch for 150 mb - it is so slow..

Config

It´s i FIC P4-875P max Motherboard - WD120DJ -caviar HD. Intel P4 2.8 Ghz. with 1 GB Matched pair dual channel ram - all new - it should be kicking a..

Setup

I have installed XP - updated drivers from the utillity disk - updated XP and it executes programs really fast.

Drivers

It has an Intel chipset ICH5R and a onboard Highpoint Raidcontroller - i have tried to update with new drivers from Intel and Highpoint, that doesnt work, I cant even boot with these drivers (F6).

Does anyone know if this is a HD-buffer (Hardware) problem or is it driver problem?? Please help

I have been writing to FIC but no answer yet - more than 1 week ago...

Sylvester sleep

Have you tried the Intel Application Accelerators and the Intel Chipset Software Utility. Both of them combined is whats needed for Windows to work properley with the new chipsets, and will greater speeds.

Thanx for your reply.

I think I have tried allmost everything - I can´t really keep track of all the combinations I have tried!

I did download the accelerator disk, I then made a driverdisk from that for the F6 install of XP, and that didnt work (as far as I remember).

If you know have to do this, would you please tell me the exact order and drivers I need - I know this sounds silly but I have tried for 3 weeks now and are getting really confused crazy

Behaps I just did it wrong the first time, and since then complicated things to much..

Thanx again for your help

well ya screwed up by buyin intel for starters. just being told that you need some screwy application accelerator or whatever its called should have thrown up a red flag. personally i would can your system or get your money back, and go with the amd 64 bit processors.

well - I guess it´s to late for that - if it aint gonna work, I´ll just throw an IDE disk in - anybody wanna buy a great SATA disk wink

The only reason Intel released the application accelerators iis that their Chipsets are newer than the OS's and therefore the OS cant recognize them and CANNOT use them properley.

sflesch23, an attitude like that is called arrogance.

The intel IAA is also a software package. Apart from bootdisk its also a software package so download that.

Quote:
well ya screwed up by buyin intel for starters. just being told that you need some screwy application accelerator or whatever its called should have thrown up a red flag. personally i would can your system or get your money back, and go with the amd 64 bit processors.

this is a help board, a nice one with nice people.
if u have nothing helpful to post... post somewhere else.

Thanx again for your help Immortal..

I know I am pushing it with all these questions, and it takes time to answer, so I really apreciate your help - if possible could you please help me with the following questions

I think I´ll put in a IDE disk, just to get it working for now - will I still have the problem if i go IDE???

I´m gonna keep the SATA, and I am still gonna try to get it to work, others might get the same problem in the future and it would be nice to have the solution - how would you do it from scratch (new install)??

For F6 install i can use following

1. Drivers from the disk that came with the motherboard

2. Drivers from the Intel Accelerator software

3. The intel Bootdisk generator

4. HighPoint driver

(I am using only 1 Hdisk)

And would you update XP before or after up[censored] the MB drivers.

ANd what drivers would you update with.

And what software should I install in the end to get maximum performance.

Lot´s of questions - I know - it sounds like I never done this before, I have made lots of computers, but this is the first time with SATAN disks, new Intel chipset and FIC - and its out of controle......

I forgot to say that I did try the accelerator software again yesterday - it was installed (the RAID) edition - I uninstalled, installed again etc. it made no difference!

IDE drive wont make any difference i dont think, cause its still on the same ICH5R chip.

The mothd you have mentioned is correct, update first with the Intel Chipset software utility, then the IAA RAID drivers and the Windows XP. Thats what i did...

It looks like something has wrong in the data transfer chain, may be its the IDE cable, try a new and good quality one; CRC on error poses major slowdown of even the fastest drive.

Another possiblity is that you FIC mobo has a flaw, try to have your vendor technician to inspect and possibly RMA it. smile

Quote:

Well, there's nothing wrong with Intel. AMD used to be crap. The only thing I see wrong is him buying FIC, but that's just me. I'm typing this statement on an Athlon XP 2000+ and a Via KT400 motherboard, BTW. 64-bit is nuts for the desktop right now anyway, and I'd wait until Socket 939 is mainstream anyway.

I'd agree with tylau's suggestions as well. Check the hardware.

Quote:

I Have been using Intel Boards for the last 3 years, and i should say intel chipset is the best chipset you can find for P4 CPU. I prefer Intel chipset above anything else.

By the way, AMD has it's own problems, which are in fact more complicated and more difficult to deal with. personally i will never recommend AMD to any new user/starter.

WD HDD's are s odelicate, they could go bad quickly. I have had a LOT of bad experience with WD's. I wouldn't use a WD IDE HDD or SATA 7200RPM ones myself. Since i have had a lot of luck woth the WD SCSI drives, i can't say the same about the SATA 10000RPM, but i won't buy one untill i see them in action.

Check the drive itself as well. it is very possible that the drive could be bad.

Good Luck

I think the problem is that win xp doesnt have sata drivers, which is bs.... if you use an IDE D i think it will load quicker.