Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Radioactive Frog

internet dials wen puter turns on

i have been asked bout a problem that when a puter is turned on it tries to dial the interenet but cus there is no pasword it does not connect ! Irritating .... !! any idea what it could be? i cant see anything obvious but....is there anything ppl know i shuld be looking for?

cheers all

smile

Do you want to dial the inet when the comp starts up or do you want to get rid of it? What os/sp are you running.

I have heard of something similar and this is what i found. They usually have AIM or yahoo messenger or something similar that starts automatically upon startup and then demands the internet connection. Two thing, either save the password so that it will connect or find the program that is requesting the internet on start up and kill it.

sorry more info....

rite dont want the pc to start up

Win xp Pro with all updates (i beleive!!)

MSN is the only messenger running but that has been running alwyas and this has only just started!!

any other ideas??

thanks

RF

If it is dialing by itself... with nobody around

THE EXPLANATION IS SIMPLE : you have a Troyan with a dialer.

The problem about those «virus» is enormous... since they are dialing long distance to an off shore server, the bill can be substantial.

TO GET RID OF IT :

1. A good anti-virus will do the job...

2. But I prefer to use SPY SWEEPER... because it will stop it from coming back under any other form or name.

To download Spy Sweeper: just click below (on the very long link) it will download after 3 seconds

http://download.com.com/redir?pid=10247265&merid=57427&mfgid=57427<ype=dl_elite_gen&lop=linktitle&edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3120-2144-10247265&ontId=2144&destUrl=%2F3000-2144-10247265.html&tag=lst-spOr-1

Just my 2 cents...First, you may want to go into the Options in IE, go to Connections and choose "never dial a connection"...then I would run msconfig to check out what is running at startup...

:x

Ya ! But if it's a real Troyan... it will bypass that kind of «key».

It will also fireup the computer if it's «Off».

But it can not «plug» the modem to the AC (the wall) if it's «unplug».

Of course, the simplest remedy is to kill the beast... the Troyan.

Evident !

Quote:
sorry more info....

rite dont want the pc to start up
Win xp Pro with all updates (i beleive!!)

MSN is the only messenger running but that has been running alwyas and this has only just started!!

any other ideas??

thanks

RF

maybe u have messenger setup to sign in automaticlly, then its trying to dial..., but try what somedude said, it may work.

thanks everyone i will try all the suggestions.

I know it is not MSN as on that puter it has never been used so there is no account to auto dial in with !!!!!!

thanks again

RF

go to Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections Tab and underneath the dialup and Virtual Private Network Settings box, you will see 3 radio dials. Make sure the first radio dial is selected

- Never dial a connection

also make sure no programs run at startup that need a connection

ie, Outlook Express email program, Anti Virus program that is searching for live updates, Windows Live Updates etc