Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lotus

Buzzing sound coming from system...

I have a friend whos powersupply went in her system. We found her a new case with a P4 powersupply, and made the transition. After getting everything in the new case, we tried it out. As soon as we plugged in the powercord, a buzzing started. If I unplugged power to a drive it would change tone, I got it to stop after unplugging the floppy drive. I tested another MB just to see if her old one was damaged, but the buzzing won't go away. Can a drive cause something like that, or did she get a dud PSU in her new case?

Is the sound coming from the floppy drive or the power supply ?!?

If it's coming from the PS, make sure that the busy light is not on all the time once you power on the machine, if it is this just means you have the data cable on backwards, just flip it around and try again.

If it comes on then goes off again but the sound is still present then it's possible that for some reason either the floppy drive is failing or perhaps the sound is coming from one of the components inside the PS, perhaps one of the coils is rubbing against another or the side of the power supply casing. These PS units now employ a switching design which means they operate at higher frequencies and this can sometimes cause some extra noise to be heard, could also mean a flakey PS unit wink