Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
l33t-g4m3r

help restoring outlook express mail

i had a problem with windows 2000 and had to do a clean reinstall

so i pretty much lost all my old settings and anything else that was in the registry.

i have a backup file of everything, but i dont want to use it because it'll restore the messed up settings.

i have the .dbx files copied, but i dont know how to make outlook use the old ones instead of the new ones...

so if anyone knows how to restore my old outlook mail from that i would greatly appreciate some good advice.

I had email saved in outlook from a no longer existing email account, which is why i really need toget my mail back somehow.

If your backup file for Outlook Express is a *.pst file, you can simply choose the import/export item fromt he File list and point it at that file. That will allow you to import all the mail, address, and other settings, including you email configuration. laugh

create a oe account just like u would normally. (just like the other one)

then overwrite all the files in that dir with the old files u copied.

Another option is to recreate your account in Outlook Express (ie redo your mail settings) then click File/Import. From there choose "Messages". On the next box select the version of Express you were using before then click next. On the next screen try using the "import mail from an OE store". This will allow you to browse to the location of your old files.

Hope this helps.

First copy the DBX files to a folder where you want them, set up an account in Outlook Express. Then select Tools, Options then Maintenance tab, click on Store Folder and change the location to point to your old mail. Quit OE and reload and all your mail should re-appear!