Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PRF

can windows xp home join a domain??

i know that winxp home in it native form couldn't join a domain, but i heard about a patch that add this posibility, were can i find it?

tnx.

I am not sure it is a patch but more of a registry fix that you need to do but I am sure someone will let you know the right way as I don't use or go near XP!

S

Short answer, no.

You can use an old tweakUI to autolog you onto the domain though, but this keeps the password in clear text, and is auto; the user can't just type it in. Joining a domain in this manner may also be in vioplation of your EULA , better read the EUL if you plan to do it.

Another way that works, is to type in the path to the file you want, then it will prompt for password. Type it in and you will get the data.

what i really want to do is to get access to the internet in a corporative network, this computer is under winxp home and it must be validated in the main server (or router, firewall).

the registry fix can do this?

i don't matter if the user logs on auto, and i don't need to get data from another computer in the network (only internet), for this TweakUI is helpfull?

tnx

I'm not sure if this would work.

Disable the welcome screen, to log on with the old style and be able to enter the username yourself. Then try to log on like this.

user = <domain>\<user>

password = <password>

PRF,

You do not need the computer to join a domain for it to get Internet on a corporate network. If DHCP is setup somewhere within the network (On the Server, Router, or Firewall) and the XP Home computer is setup to obtain an IP address automatically, simply plugging it in the LAN will allow it to get out to the Internet. If there is no need to get data from the Server etc., your all set! I have clients that have salesman that bring their XP Home Edition laptops into our networks all the time and just plug in.

Hope this helps,

Jason